CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:
Re: Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Jim Wendler actually advocates sprinting as one of the preferred methods for conditioning. I don't think a short metcon would hinder you in terms of recovery and wouldn't make for too terrible of assistance work. Here'a quote from him about conditioning:

Quote:
I donít care when or how you get this conditioning done, and I donít care whether it happens on your off days or not. This only time this matters is when you live in the Land of the Vag. Do it when you have time. Make time for it. Just get it done. Nobody ever got strong or got in shape by thinking about it. They did it.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
Kevin Bean

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Williams View Post
So, you think the extra recovery from squatting only once a week rather than twice will help me continue make linear gains? Is that enough volume to produce adaptation?
Only you know the answer, but it works for me. Granted I'm 30 and my profession means going to bed when others are waking up and eating erratically so I appreciate the reduced volume and increased recovery time.

As others have pointed out at 6'3" 190-195 I think you're going to have to increase your food intake if you want to put 10lbs on your 5rm a week for any amount of time. LP gets to be a real grind.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld

Profile:

Trey,

I'm not near expert enough to help you, but I am an ultimate player myself and am starting 70s Big soon myself. I'm just wondering how you integrated 70s big into your ultimate schedule; did you just follow it exactly on top of your ultimate schedule?

I'm thinking about dropping the power clean day, moving the dips elsewhere in the week, and taking out the conditioning only day. How did you integrate the two?
Old 07-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
Trey Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Steinert-Threlkeld View Post
Trey,

I'm not near expert enough to help you, but I am an ultimate player myself and am starting 70s Big soon myself. I'm just wondering how you integrated 70s big into your ultimate schedule; did you just follow it exactly on top of your ultimate schedule?

I'm thinking about dropping the power clean day, moving the dips elsewhere in the week, and taking out the conditioning only day. How did you integrate the two?
I'd say a lot of it depends on what you need to work on. I did 70's big to a T for a couple months using practice and short metcons as conditioning, but my squat was lagging behind my cleans and deadlifts. Now I squat twice a week, press once and bench once, as per 70's big, but I dropped off the deads and cleans. I work in conditioning in the form of short metcons or sprints according to whether or not I have practice or a tournament that week. The key for me was not overdoing it. And eating a lot.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
Trey Williams

Profile:

Also, Shane, you might be interested in checking out my blog. It serves as a training log for me and a few others, and on my off days I write bits about how I think weight training should be a more integral part of ultimate. You might find some of it useful, or at least entertaining.

underthebarbell.blogspot.com (wfs)
Old 07-05-2011, 04:30 AM   #16
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld

Profile:

Quote:
Also, Shane, you might be interested in checking out my blog. It serves as a training log for me and a few others, and on my off days I write bits about how I think weight training should be a more integral part of ultimate. You might find some of it useful, or at least entertaining.

underthebarbell.blogspot.com (wfs)
Nice, just added you to my Google Reader. It's funny: I've historically been the 150lb, 7% bf kid you refer to in your ab post. Have still been a pretty dominant handler, but am definitely trying to take it to the next level with legit strength training (already put on 8lbs of lean mass in the last 6 months). Also starting grad school at Stanford this Fall and looking to make sure I make the A team.

Looks like 70's big to a T for the rest of the summer will be my plan of attack (maybe dropping the power clean day if it becomes too much volume).

Keep up the good work and entertaining writing.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #17
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

Have you thought about moving to a 5x5 scheme and just squatting once a week? Something like:

Monday:
Squat 5x5
Press 5x5

Tuesday:
Powerclean 5x3
Conditiong

Thursday:
Deadlift 1x5
Bench 5x5

Friday
Power Snatch 5x2
Conditioning

Just a thought.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
Trey Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Steinert-Threlkeld View Post
Nice, just added you to my Google Reader. It's funny: I've historically been the 150lb, 7% bf kid you refer to in your ab post. Have still been a pretty dominant handler, but am definitely trying to take it to the next level with legit strength training (already put on 8lbs of lean mass in the last 6 months). Also starting grad school at Stanford this Fall and looking to make sure I make the A team.

Looks like 70's big to a T for the rest of the summer will be my plan of attack (maybe dropping the power clean day if it becomes too much volume).

Keep up the good work and entertaining writing.
Getting stronger really made my first step much, much quicker which will be great for you as a handler. 70's Big should be perfect. Are you playing club this summer?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #19
Trey Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
Have you thought about moving to a 5x5 scheme and just squatting once a week? Something like:

Monday:
Squat 5x5
Press 5x5

Tuesday:
Powerclean 5x3
Conditiong

Thursday:
Deadlift 1x5
Bench 5x5

Friday
Power Snatch 5x2
Conditioning

Just a thought.
You're suggesting sets straight across, right? Not working up to a top set like Madcow?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
You're suggesting sets straight across, right? Not working up to a top set like Madcow?
Yeah, sets across. I think that should keep you getting gains for awhile. If you still want to squat twice a week, maybe keep the 3x5 or even a 5x5 on Monday and then try to hit a a PR (maybe a new 5RM) on Thursday.

I don't think the DE stuff is a bad idea, but I think you'd need to scrap the 70s Big S&C weekly format to make it worthwhile. 5/3/1 isn't a bad idea, but your progress will slow way down, which isn't necessarily bad. But if you can still make consistent linear gains why not get as strong as possible as quickly as possible before moving to something else?