CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
Jonathan Vechet
Member Jonathan Vechet is offline
 
Jonathan Vechet's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin  TX
Posts: 429
Re: Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Jim Wendler actually advocates sprinting as one of the preferred methods for conditioning. I don't think a short metcon would hinder you in terms of recovery and wouldn't make for too terrible of assistance work. Here'a quote from him about conditioning:

Quote:
I donít care when or how you get this conditioning done, and I donít care whether it happens on your off days or not. This only time this matters is when you live in the Land of the Vag. Do it when you have time. Make time for it. Just get it done. Nobody ever got strong or got in shape by thinking about it. They did it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
Kevin Bean
Member Kevin Bean is offline
 
Kevin Bean's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: bellingham  WA
Posts: 146
Re: Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Williams View Post
So, you think the extra recovery from squatting only once a week rather than twice will help me continue make linear gains? Is that enough volume to produce adaptation?
Only you know the answer, but it works for me. Granted I'm 30 and my profession means going to bed when others are waking up and eating erratically so I appreciate the reduced volume and increased recovery time.

As others have pointed out at 6'3" 190-195 I think you're going to have to increase your food intake if you want to put 10lbs on your 5rm a week for any amount of time. LP gets to be a real grind.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld
Member Shane Steinert-Threlkeld is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Palo Alto  CA
Posts: 595
Re: Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Trey,

I'm not near expert enough to help you, but I am an ultimate player myself and am starting 70s Big soon myself. I'm just wondering how you integrated 70s big into your ultimate schedule; did you just follow it exactly on top of your ultimate schedule?

I'm thinking about dropping the power clean day, moving the dips elsewhere in the week, and taking out the conditioning only day. How did you integrate the two?
__________________
M / 23 / 5'10" / 170# / Deadlift 375#, Squat 300#, Bench 180# (5RM), Press 125# : my log (wfs)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
Trey Williams
Member Trey Williams is offline
 
Trey Williams's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga  TN
Posts: 91
Re: Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Steinert-Threlkeld View Post
Trey,

I'm not near expert enough to help you, but I am an ultimate player myself and am starting 70s Big soon myself. I'm just wondering how you integrated 70s big into your ultimate schedule; did you just follow it exactly on top of your ultimate schedule?

I'm thinking about dropping the power clean day, moving the dips elsewhere in the week, and taking out the conditioning only day. How did you integrate the two?
I'd say a lot of it depends on what you need to work on. I did 70's big to a T for a couple months using practice and short metcons as conditioning, but my squat was lagging behind my cleans and deadlifts. Now I squat twice a week, press once and bench once, as per 70's big, but I dropped off the deads and cleans. I work in conditioning in the form of short metcons or sprints according to whether or not I have practice or a tournament that week. The key for me was not overdoing it. And eating a lot.
__________________
M/20/6'3/200 Dead: 525 Squat: 385 Bench: 245 Power Clean: 265
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
Trey Williams
Member Trey Williams is offline
 
Trey Williams's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga  TN
Posts: 91
Re: Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Also, Shane, you might be interested in checking out my blog. It serves as a training log for me and a few others, and on my off days I write bits about how I think weight training should be a more integral part of ultimate. You might find some of it useful, or at least entertaining.

underthebarbell.blogspot.com (wfs)
__________________
M/20/6'3/200 Dead: 525 Squat: 385 Bench: 245 Power Clean: 265
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:30 AM   #16
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld
Member Shane Steinert-Threlkeld is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Palo Alto  CA
Posts: 595
Re: Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Williams View Post
Also, Shane, you might be interested in checking out my blog. It serves as a training log for me and a few others, and on my off days I write bits about how I think weight training should be a more integral part of ultimate. You might find some of it useful, or at least entertaining.

underthebarbell.blogspot.com (wfs)
Nice, just added you to my Google Reader. It's funny: I've historically been the 150lb, 7% bf kid you refer to in your ab post. Have still been a pretty dominant handler, but am definitely trying to take it to the next level with legit strength training (already put on 8lbs of lean mass in the last 6 months). Also starting grad school at Stanford this Fall and looking to make sure I make the A team.

Looks like 70's big to a T for the rest of the summer will be my plan of attack (maybe dropping the power clean day if it becomes too much volume).

Keep up the good work and entertaining writing.
__________________
M / 23 / 5'10" / 170# / Deadlift 375#, Squat 300#, Bench 180# (5RM), Press 125# : my log (wfs)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #17
Ryan Dell Whitley
Member Ryan Dell Whitley is offline
 
Ryan Dell Whitley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clarksville  TN
Posts: 117
Re: Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Have you thought about moving to a 5x5 scheme and just squatting once a week? Something like:

Monday:
Squat 5x5
Press 5x5

Tuesday:
Powerclean 5x3
Conditiong

Thursday:
Deadlift 1x5
Bench 5x5

Friday
Power Snatch 5x2
Conditioning

Just a thought.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
Trey Williams
Member Trey Williams is offline
 
Trey Williams's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga  TN
Posts: 91
Re: Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Steinert-Threlkeld View Post
Nice, just added you to my Google Reader. It's funny: I've historically been the 150lb, 7% bf kid you refer to in your ab post. Have still been a pretty dominant handler, but am definitely trying to take it to the next level with legit strength training (already put on 8lbs of lean mass in the last 6 months). Also starting grad school at Stanford this Fall and looking to make sure I make the A team.

Looks like 70's big to a T for the rest of the summer will be my plan of attack (maybe dropping the power clean day if it becomes too much volume).

Keep up the good work and entertaining writing.
Getting stronger really made my first step much, much quicker which will be great for you as a handler. 70's Big should be perfect. Are you playing club this summer?
__________________
M/20/6'3/200 Dead: 525 Squat: 385 Bench: 245 Power Clean: 265
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #19
Trey Williams
Member Trey Williams is offline
 
Trey Williams's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga  TN
Posts: 91
Re: Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
Have you thought about moving to a 5x5 scheme and just squatting once a week? Something like:

Monday:
Squat 5x5
Press 5x5

Tuesday:
Powerclean 5x3
Conditiong

Thursday:
Deadlift 1x5
Bench 5x5

Friday
Power Snatch 5x2
Conditioning

Just a thought.
You're suggesting sets straight across, right? Not working up to a top set like Madcow?
__________________
M/20/6'3/200 Dead: 525 Squat: 385 Bench: 245 Power Clean: 265
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
Ryan Dell Whitley
Member Ryan Dell Whitley is offline
 
Ryan Dell Whitley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clarksville  TN
Posts: 117
Re: Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Williams View Post
You're suggesting sets straight across, right? Not working up to a top set like Madcow?
Yeah, sets across. I think that should keep you getting gains for awhile. If you still want to squat twice a week, maybe keep the 3x5 or even a 5x5 on Monday and then try to hit a a PR (maybe a new 5RM) on Thursday.

I don't think the DE stuff is a bad idea, but I think you'd need to scrap the 70s Big S&C weekly format to make it worthwhile. 5/3/1 isn't a bad idea, but your progress will slow way down, which isn't necessarily bad. But if you can still make consistent linear gains why not get as strong as possible as quickly as possible before moving to something else?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linear Progression + Tumbling Mac Oneill Fitness 4 03-02-2011 09:03 PM
Have I Exhausted Genetics in Linear Progression? Colin McLafferty Fitness 43 02-20-2011 07:16 PM
Linear Progression on the Press Ė When to go to 2.5 lb. jumps? Will Patterson Fitness 13 10-22-2010 02:49 AM
linear progression hugh driscoll Fitness 27 04-12-2010 04:32 PM
Linear Progression Jakub Kruhlik Starting 4 07-30-2008 11:04 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.