CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
Travis Fehler

Profile:
I run to work daily (about 3.5 km)as a supplement to my CF and have generally gone for speed when running. I carry my work clothes, lunch etc. in a back pack when I run, and I recently bought a new, much heavier pack. I was wondering are there any benefits/drawbacks to running with the extra weight, and should I add more or go for less? I tried it this morning and I was about a minute or two slower, but felt ok.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
Neil Khant

Profile:
I'm not a runner, but I would think that you would do better dragging something. Adding weight seems like it would add more stress to joints that is not necessary.

Maybe add some quick sprint lengths within your run to stress yourself.

The runners here will probably have more and better insight on this. Maybe that is a good idea, just doesn't seem like something you wouldn't want to do on a regular basis.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
Connie Morreale

Profile:
a lot depends on the back pack you are using. your joe average pack is going to swing a little as you run. you may not percieve it, but more than likely it will throw off your normal gait. this stress could start to do a number on you after a week or 2.
how much weight is in the pack is also a huge consideration. your joints are not accostumed to anything more than carrying around just travis. again the cumulative effect may show up in a week or 2.
i would ease into it, toting the bag 2x a week for 2 weeks and than adding a day at a time each week for adaptation. if you are impatient and decide not to follow such advice, i would definetly stop altogether the minute any issues arise. no sense inviting injury.
----------------------------------
di try n
Old 04-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:
Joint stress is an important factor to note. Coming from a marathon background, I can tell you that weighted runs are fine but don’t overstress yourself early on. Add about 5lbs per increase to allow your body to adjust. Understanding and defining your goals at first is important, so focus on your program that way. Long walks with lots of hills will also help when carrying extra weight. Don’t worry about being slower at first, that’s only natural and the speed will eventually pick up. I would not recommend using weights more than twice a week depending on your overall program and goals. Even doing weighted lunges will benefit your overall outcome performance. Adding more or less will depend on how far away from work you live and how much time you will have to take a shower when you arrive ( I’m assuming your work place does have a shower….please say yes). Anyway, just watch your back and knees over time and see how they respond to the added stress and you should be fine. When I wear my weight vest and go out on a 1 to 2 mile walk/run, I watch my posture as well, that’s important also. If needed, wear a soft weight belt under your shirt to help offset the lower back stress. If your pack has a sternum strap then use it, that will help with the side to side swaying. If not, you will have to improvise with some kind of cloth or small rope and tie the two shoulder straps vertically across the chest area for added stability and support.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Kevin Sinclair

Profile:
I often carry a pack when I go on walks. It does give the hike an extra edge, especially on the uphill sections, but it really started as a responce to a need - I just wanted to carry lots of water and some food with me. However, walking / hiking is different to running which places greater stress on the joints. I liked the idea of dragging a weight behind you as an alternative, but if it's too / from work or along a road it may look a bit strange!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Ben Nance

Profile:
Run to work with a wheelbarrow!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
Travis Fehler

Profile:
Thanks for the ideas all, I don't have room to store a wheelbarrow in my office though:msn-wink:. I don't think the joint pain should be an issue as i started running when I weighed 275, and I'm now a relatively svelte 230 (thanks to CF) so my joints should be able to take it. The pack I got has a nice tight suspension system and is good quality so it is stable.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
Peter Queen

Profile:
Cool...enjoy! I try to workout with my weight vest every chance I can. It's a real thrill doing them with pullups.:biggrinthumb:
Old 04-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
Shaun Trainor

Profile:
Just to through my 2 cents in. Guys at work are always doing heaps of k's with 12 or 14 kilos hanging of them, in the form of webbing. They always jump straight into it, with no form of progression, and always seem to do it on concrete. Give it 3 weeks and they stop, because of joint soreness in ther ankles and knees.
I did precisely the same thing a few years back. Lasted 7 days of running 5-10km a day in webbing and boots. I learnt my lesson after that.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in a round-about way, is ease into. Start with weighted intervals, and move on from there. And make sure you have a good pair of running shoes.
And have fun with it. Its a good tool for improving your GPP (in life we're not always in shorts and a Tshirt)
Old 04-22-2007, 05:27 AM   #10
Graham Hayes

Profile:
You shouldn't run with weight unless you have a vendatta against your knees...Instead you should do what is called doubling, which is more of a shuffle keeping the feet as close to the ground as possible and as little knee bend as possible.

You should increase weight slowly, and shouldn't tab more than twice a week with 40lb+. Walk uphill, double down hill and on flats. Search for British military forums, especially Marines and Paras on "tabbing" and "yomping".