CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #21
Kevin McGuinness

Profile:
Re: Interesting theory on exercise fatigue

I believe it. I just wish I had the mental strength to put that belief in practice. I'd have such better workouts if actually went those fews steps further that I thought I could and was probably physically capable of.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #22
Sarah Langford

Profile:

I'd be really interested in what mental techniques people use to get past the point where your mind is telling that you can't keep going. I find certain music helps me to push myself harder than I thought I could.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:42 AM   #23
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I once had tunnel vision during a c-fit workout. I was only doing c-fit 2 times a week at the time. It was a tabata workout. 1st tabata rowing, then tabata power snatches, tabata wall ball, tabata slam balls, then tabata situps. During the tabata slam balls I could only see through a circle, everything around it was black, about 2% transparent compared to normal vision. I think it was because I was doing strength workouts and wasn't used pushing hard in metcon workouts.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:05 AM   #24
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Ditto on the 'visions' and such...
I work nights, and sometimes I switch over by staying awake for 30hrs (the exception, not the rule). I'd hear all these sounds, people wispering my name, sounds from work (I too work in a hospital).
I find my thoughts are 'louder', if that makes sense, when I'm exerting myself...sorta like when you meditate, you don't really notice all these things going on inside your head...
It seems the brain needs something to 'watch'...whether or not it's actually stimuli from your environment is another story...
BTW...when I get tired like about, I either don't remember hitting the pillow, or I lay awake for 2 hrs...go figure...
Old 08-26-2007, 02:56 AM   #25
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I once stayed up for three days and yes I've experienced some visions also. Weird stuff.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #26
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:

I remember reading that it is the brain that makes muscles tighten up when they reach the edge of their range of motion. If you pick up a passed out person's leg, you will be able to move it farther than if you were stretching a conscious person. This demonstrates that the brain has a 'cut off' point to avoid potential injury. I think this can be related to fatigue during met-con workouts. The brain can sense the body reaching a point that could lead to damage (i.e. rhabdo) and produces pain sensations that will most likely slow you down. Also, just like constant stretching, training met-con should increase your brain's threshold.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #27
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Langford View Post
I'd be really interested in what mental techniques people use to get past the point where your mind is telling that you can't keep going. I find certain music helps me to push myself harder than I thought I could.
Sarah, I don't know how it happened, but I've gotten to the point where my mind doesn't really "talk back" anymore (probably got sick of being ignored ). It's like being hungry but not eating; eventually you're not hungry anymore. There's no longer any need to override it or use special mental techniques. I simply go until my body stops responding. It's true physical failure.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #28
Rob Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Langford View Post
I too would like to hear examples of what some of you use to "keep pushing".
Old 08-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #29
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

For cycling up hills: I say to myself, "long slow climb"; I sit back on the saddle, open my chest, and sing (in my mind only) the lyrics to Natasha Beddington's UNWRITTEN: "no one else can feel it for you, only you can let it in.....so close you can almost taste it, feel the rain on your skin.....etc." I don't look at the top of the hill, I just concentrate on one revolution at a time. For hills so steep I have to stand, I say to myself, "it's either pedal or fall" so I keep pedaling.

For running at pace: I use every CHIRUNNING trick in the book. I shorten my stride, I lean forward, I focus on form, and I try to breathe in rhythm with my steps. For sprints, I try not to think except about reaching the end of the interval, leaning forward, and picking up my feet.

For Crossfit workouts: I am a legend in my own mind, and like the champion I (think I) am, I don't quit. I also am learning to perversely enjoy nausea, dripping sweat, screaming muscles. Finally, I have been known to curse at my trainer. "Let's just get this fin' thing over with." It's like the only way I can get him to leave me alone is to finish the workout, so I finish.

In general, there are two ways to cope with exercise stress: distraction or focus. I do better, in general, with focus on how I am feeling and how my body is doing. It's akin to meditation, which I also practice. It's a way of noticing pain or fatigue but not sinking into it. Being an observer of one's own sensations. People who do better with distractions are the ones who like to work out to music. I find it, well...distracting.

Susie
Old 08-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #30
Dan Ensing

Profile:

When I'm training BJJ and stuck under somebody who has full mount... I'm fighting off submissions, chokes, etcs. Maybe this goes on for a few minutes and I'm tired, sore, sucking air, and just want to quit. I say to myself, "Just 10 more seconds, that's all you need to survive." After that's up, it's the same thought again, "Just 10 more seconds, that's all I need to survive."

Dan