CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:43 PM   #41
Dustin Rodgers

Profile:
This is bull****. I don't post very often, mainly because I realize there are a lot of people on this board that know a hell of a lot more than I do about all of these topics. This whole hypersensitive "somebody hurt my feelings" or "that offends me so I'm gonna complain" mentality is crap. I can't believe that two of the fittest and more knowledgeable people on this site have pulled out. I don't agree with Matt G. all of the time, and yeah, Dan's got a weird sense of humor, but he makes me laugh. When he doesn't or I don't particularly agree with something I read, I don't get my drawers all bunched up; I just move on. For all the whiners, life's not always gonna be rosy. If something that's written on this board sends you into a tizzy, I can't imagine what a real problem in your lives must do. Give it a rest.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #42
Keith Conrad

Profile:

I have the answer. For all the new people who say, what the f**k?, when they see a post by Dan, have a disclaimer at the bottom of all his posts. It could say something like, "If this is confusing, go to www.theartofdansilver.com. This should answer all of your questions."
Old 08-01-2005, 10:13 PM   #43
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
http://www.theartofdansilver.com/

OMG! That was F~!#int hilarious! http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/12517.gif
Old 08-01-2005, 10:39 PM   #44
Beth Moscov

Profile:
The only people who never annoy anyone are people without personality

This is also true for boards. Part of what we all are trying to figure out is how to balance the crossfit boards so they have enough personality to be interesting to the varied group that are attracted to them while not becoming so "in-group" that new folks don't feel like they belong. I don't have any words of wisdom but maybe we could think through what our real purpose is here. It might inform us of what our principles should be. Is our purpose simply to provide information? Is it to support the ongoing development of the community? Something else? What should be the role of moderators in the community with the purpose that is decided upon? What is the role of members?

All good questions. Don't got any answers.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #45
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
But Dan is a vital organ in the Crossfit body. Maybe a lymph node. But remove even a small, important bit of tissue and the whole body suffers.

More like the funny bone, yeah it tickles, but kinda stings at the same time. I like Dan on the board. Don't know if I'd like him in person, but he adds a breath of fresh air sometimes (well maybe not so fresh.):biggrin:
Old 08-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #46
Steven C. Herndon

Profile:

Brian, I sympathize with the problems the moderators have, the responsibility for maintaining the direction of the board, and through that, to a large extent, Crossfit. And I realize that Dan left for his own reasons, for things others said to him apparently, not necessarily because of the Moderators comments on hijacked threads. As someone who has looked at a few boards, lurked here for over a year and finally started posting recently, I love things the way they are. As someone commented earlier, there is no flaming of newbie’s, 99.9999% of the time all questions are answered to the best of any ones abilities, even after 3 people put up a simple, reserved “Use the search function” with links. I do not think this would happen any where else. I love that there is a sense of community, inside jokes, that people seem to know each other so well, just from online, but a newbie never feels like there is no room for him at the cool kids table, he is free to join in. And I part of what I love is when a thread turns into a comedy back and forth, racing down to the lowest levels of decency. But maybe it is just me. I am glad this thread turned the way it did, into a larger discussion on the direction of the boards, and if there needs to be some change in direction, it is good to get this stuff out there. And Moderators, thanks for all the hard work you do, even if you do not always share my belief in what is a good direction for a thread. This is defiantly one of the best managed boards I have ever read.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:11 AM   #47
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I don't think I should ever post on the Message Board right after the WOD, as I usually have too much testoserone in my blood, but after a night's sleep, I wanted to add a couple things.

Context matters, in my view: what's appropriate in Community may not be in Fitness or Nutrition. There is no reason you couldn't have different standards, depending on where the thread is. The idea of Community is exactly the "club". It's the catch-all for not necessarily CrossFit specific stuff, but which might be of general interest. It's the Coffee Pot. There are actually a lot of new ideas generated in idle moments relaxing. You need a place for this, conceptually, as well as for the actual building of Community. I personally have always enjoyed Dan's sense of humor, and have never seen anything I thought crossed the line. It is a fact that people with a sense of humor handle stress better than people who don't.

I first realized cops have a different sense of humor when I worked for the campus PD as a student, and a dude riding a motorcycle got in an accident and lost his leg, and within ten minutes of the ambulance disappearing they were calling him Pegleg Pete. That's how you deal. Doctors, lawyers, soldiers, you name it, they have their own sense of humor. It keeps them sane.

Also, being me, I would like to (very briefly) step up on my soapbox and say that I believe a strong case can be made between the rise in rates of monopolar depression and increased sensitivity.

100 years ago, depression as we know it today was rare to non-existent, according to studies where people alive at that time were interviewed and asked extensive sets of questions, like "have you ever felt down for 3 weeks or more?" Depression rates started rising about ten years after the "Cult of Sensitivity" started.

Specifically, praise became a goal in itself, as self-esteem became a goal in itself. The problem is that self-esteem, to be real, has to FOLLOW achievement--there has to be a realistic referent--not precede it.

Over time, people have taken to assuming that life is supposed to be nice, and that they should never be offended or pushed hard. When life stinks, as it sometimes does, they react by recoiling, instead of fighting. This is depression, which cognitive psychologists call "learned helplessness."

End rant. Idea: Moderators, it would be cool if we could edit or delete our own posts after we post. That might prevent some problems, by allowing self-censorship.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:48 AM   #48
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Thank God for Barry's posts! (no, really I mean that)
Here's the thing. Barry's right, context is what it's all about. It's why I've started limiting what I post to the Community section. I feel it is a wide open place where the occasional "off-topic" post is allowed. Yeah, I've got a nasty little rep for being off-topic, but I feel I add value just as often. Do I feel the mods get a little ****y sometimes? Yeah, but that's their job.
The beauty of the Community, the section and the people, is the ability to allow organic growth of thought and the evolution of ideas. No one gets laughed at, just with. If you have a question, take it to the sections. You'll get answers, and if you're lucky, a humorous post or two (maybe more).
One thing Dan added without meaning it was the ability to bring out everyone else's sense of humor. I haven't been around as long as the mods, but I've been here for over a year and what I've seen is several members "coming out of their shells" as far as humor goes. I'd like to think I contributed to that is some small way, but I pale compared to Dan and his posts and knowledge of movie lines (now if we got started on "Something About Mary" things would be different). Look back to the thread where the whole "Ghostbuster" exchange started. It was priceless.
Beth raises good questions, and all I can say for an answer is "let the good times roll."
(I really wanted to say it in French, but could only manage bon temps rollez) In other words, we seem to know our limits and when we don't, we have moderators to push us back. Hopefully neither member nor moderator crosses a line.

Barry, seriously, great post. Teachers have a great sense of "gallows humor." At least this one does. Oh, and check out those little icons at the top of your posts. You can edit and delete your own post before a mod does it for you.

Rest easy, this is the last I have to say on the topic.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:06 AM   #49
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Thanks!!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #50
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Our message board supports community where anyone can find and share efficacious fitness information.

The CrossFit message board is heavily populated with military and police personnel, martial artists, experts on nutrition and supplementation, and coaches and athletes from dozens of sports.

All productive communication is welcome. Many have commented on the civility and kindness of all who post here. This is a great place to ask ANY question and the board is now moderated to safeguard this high quality of conversation.

This has been a great thread, a lot of good comes from reevaluating what you are doing and how you are doing it. Good posts Eugene, Brian, Barry, Ron, and Beth. Oh, and we should thank Dan for bring us this thought provoking thread.

wwdsd