CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #11
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
I'm training for my first half-marathon, so I'm finding this discussion very interesting. I just am following a training schedule with 1 long weekly run that I downloaded from Runner's World based upon a best 5k time.

I won't win any medals, but I will finish. This training schedule has 2 easy runs, 1 tempo run or 1 set of sprint intervals, and 1 long run per week. It specifies a steady pace, NOT walk breaks. But that's a half, not a full marathon.

I know some tri-ers who've done full Iron tries who walk-run and some who swear by ChiRunning, which I know nothing about.

I think it depends on how much of a runner you already are. My primary sport is cycling, so my expectations of myself in running a half are pretty modest.

I think a few weeks with long runs in them would tell you how your knees and hips are holding up.

Susie
Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #12
Daniel Freedman

Profile:
Cycling to running may not be as big a transition as you fear. Both are endurance sports. Some of your fitness base should carry over. And it's always helpful to run on soft surfaces for training runs.

I'm a runner who now does Crossfit, too. And the learning curve has been very steep for me. It has taken me 6 weeks to learn how to do even a so-so squat. The complex, compound movements are way beyond me at this point. That said, I improved 28% in benchmark workouts 3 weeks apart, have lost 10 pounds, and reduced body fat by a hefty 4 percentage points. You can't argue with numbers like that.

But most of my running buddies would flee in horror at their first glimpse of a CF gym. They would wonder why all those fat people are performing useless exercises on bizarre equipment that will leave them musclebound -- when they could be outside running!
Old 08-12-2007, 05:02 AM   #13
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Daniel,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I've never run in an organized race before, and my first will be a half-marathon in October.

What I'm finding is that I am easily cardiovascularly capable of doing the prescribed training runs thus far. I'm having more trouble with pain in my legs.

I think I may be overtraining a tad. Friday, I ran 3 paced miles, then did an hour of high-intensity spin class, then did an hour of Crossfit workouts with my trainer. (3 different WODs) That was Friday, and today I am too sore to ride my bike on a planned easy 30 mile ride.

I just hate to give up any fitness at cycling and CF because I'm adding running, but I know something's got to give a little as the long runs get longer. I *am* 52 years old, after all.

What kind of running do you do? How do you combine it with CF? Would you mind sharing what a typical week's work is for you? I'm a little overwhelmed trying to cycle, run AND CF. (I'm a newbie runner and CFer!)

Thanks for anything you'd care to share. I appreciate it.

Susie
Old 08-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I've been doing it using roughly the program to get a 39 min 10km in his book. It has the benifit of getting miles on my legs without taking too much out of the system which I'd rather use CrossFitting. I'm running faster and longer, which is good enough for me.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #15
Daniel Freedman

Profile:
Susie:

It DOES seem like you've been over-training. It's hard to master two new things at once. Ease up. I'll tell you how at the end. But first, read this...

Runners and lifters are two different tribes. But in recent years, many in each camp have realized the benefits of cross-training.

Look up Dead Runners Society on Wikipedia and join the list if interested. You will find a wealth of advice and encouragement. And most of us are in our 40's, 50's, 60's and even 70's.

I've only been doing Crossfit for 6 weeks. So I'm still working on how to put running and Crossfit together. I have found that years of running have really tightened up hips and hamstrings -- making many CF movements difficult. So I'm also doing high intensity Yoga, which has helped a lot..

Before beginning CF, I was running about 35 miles a week. That's down from much higher mileage in my heyday, when I did marathons, ultra-marathons and even simulations of Navy SEAL training. But in the last year or so -- even though I know better -- I was running a lot of "junk miles" at a slow pace. As you know, CF stresses shorter, harder, faster workouts in all things -- including running.

Since beginning CF, I have done very little running.
Most weeks, I did only one hill workout and one long run. Amazingly, times for both runs have improved
dramatically. The long run time went down from 1:14:37 to 57:12 in six weeks. And in benchmark
CF workouts done three weeks apart, I recorded a 28% performance improvement. Body fat has gone done 4 percentage points and I've lost 8 pounds.

Back to you. My advice -- based on my own experience -- is to cut way back on cycling for now.
Re-do a benchmark cycling workout in 2 or 3 weeks. You may be amazed to find your cycling performance has actually improved! If you are running and also
rowing, your cycling fitness will not deteriorate. Just try cycling short, hard and fast once or twice a week.

You may also be rushing the running. Consider concentrating on building a base and avoiding injury and soreness.

Just my $0.02, FWIW...
Old 08-13-2007, 05:36 AM   #16
Daniel Freedman

Profile:
One last thought.

Why jump into a half marathon as soon as October? That's pretty aggressive for a 52 year old new runner who is also new to Crossfit.

Consider a 5 or 10k instead for the Fall. Target a half marathon for the Spring. Use a 12 week training program for the half marathon, during which time you might cut back on cycling and even (gasp!) Crossfit.

It's really not a good idea to try to do too many things at once. The risk of injury and/or burnout is too great.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:56 AM   #17
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Daniel,

Thanks for the links to DRS and the advice. Worth way more than $0.02! I'm encouraged to hear the spillover from your Crossfitting to your run times, even without pushing the miles.

I will try the modifications you've suggested--limit the cycling, slow down the mile-building, and build the Crossfit and see what happens.

It's very interesting, the difference in fitness cultures. I love endurance sports (long-distance cycling). Prior to starting Crossfit workouts, my strength-training was very traditional and designed to make me a stronger cyclist.

My trainer tells me Crossfit will push my fitness to the "next level" as I requested, and I trust him completely. He's just not a distance runner at all, and we keep doing these SPRINTS, lol!

Thanks again, Daniel.

Susie
Old 08-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #18
Erin Schryver

Profile:
I've done two marathons. The first was the Marine Corp in DC. (Awesome marathon!!) & then the Richmond Marathon in VA. I did use the Galloway method- and I was not, nor have ever been a couch potato. I am a sports enthusiast, runner, soccer player, skier, basketball, you name it. I was about 10 min run, followed by 40-50 sec walk. My run was kept at a good pace. In the VA marathon, at my first "walk" a guy went by and was mocking and said "Ha! Good luck finishing this race!". I saw him again- about mile 20. He was at the side of the road puking. I ran by him and onto the finish sprinting the last mile.

It is interesting though- I would pick a person who was running around my pace and my goal was to pass them- even with the walk break in there. I would and would then pick another to pass. If your runs are good, you don't fall behind.
You could look at it as almost interval running. Sprint/ jog or fast pace/short walk.

For the half marathon training- these were great because you get a taste of the marathon without beating up your body so much (ok, we were not ever really meant to just go run 26 miles but yes, I like to too). My first half marathon- I had only ever run 8 miles trail before. I finished 1 hr 47 min. But to do it all over training right? I would do one long run, 1 interval run, 1 sprint workout, CF WOD's and rest. I would follow this pattern for even a marathon. Note- I googled track workouts and crossfit. One of the west coast (Colorado or thereabouts) had great track workouts to follow.