CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
Mike Carter

Profile:
Schwinn Airdyne Question

I have an old Airdyne and the pedals are "slick". I find as I ride that my feet slip. I thought about putting on skateboard tape, but then wondered if I could simply replace with MTB 1/2" platforms or 1/2" with a cage. I know the waring on the bike says no clips or straps, but wanted to improve on what I have .

Thanks
Old 10-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
Mike Carter

Profile:
Re: Schwinn Airdyne Question

Just a bump to see if anyone has this issue or has changed out the pedals.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carter View Post
Just a bump to see if anyone has this issue or has changed out the pedals.

Thanks
I coach at a CrossFit box and am a co-owner of a bike shop located next door. We held a 90 second all out effort for Calories event on the AirDyne as a skill station for a competition and opened it up to cyclists as well. The pedals originally on the AirDyne were terrible, so our lead mechanic ordered new ones for us and put them on there. Easy stuff for him. The pedals he ordered, which are metal with velcro straps, are far superior to the standard, very clunky pedals which came on the AirDyne bikes. We haven't had any problems with the replacement pedals he ordered and they are still in use at our box.

Interesting competition too. We tracked everything based upon numerous variables. The CrossFit athletes crushed the cyclists on total Calories produced over 90 seconds. But when we adjusted for power to weight ratio, the cyclists fared better (note we had a small sample of cyclists--only about a dozen compared to 50+ CrossFit athletes--and the cyclists who did participate were mostly guys who train almost every day of the week and are accomplished mountain bike racers). Results were not surprising even though the AirDyne has handles for your arms it is still primarily a cycling event so cyclists performed well. There wasn't a chance in hell those cyclists were going to come over and attempt a 500m Row, another one of the skill stations, much less something like a deadlift or complex in the rings involving a strict muscle up.

Last edited by Steven Wingo : 10-19-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
I have an old Airdyne and the pedals are "slick". I find as I ride that my feet slip. I thought about putting on skateboard tape, but then wondered if I could simply replace with MTB 1/2" platforms or 1/2" with a cage. I know the waring on the bike says no clips or straps, but wanted to improve on what I have .

Thanks
I think this issue happens to a lot of these units. There is a nut/bolt that is loose somewhere. I had to fix it on one of the units we have at our gym. It is the one directly attaching the pedal to the "arm" (for a lack of better term).
Old 10-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Mike Carter

Profile:

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I will look at adding 1/2" after market pedals. I have also noticed that the right pedal (crank arm) does have a wobble issue. Good call on getting it fixed. I found the pins on line for like $6/set for right and left.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:39 AM   #6
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I will look at adding 1/2" after market pedals. I have also noticed that the right pedal (crank arm) does have a wobble issue. Good call on getting it fixed. I found the pins on line for like $6/set for right and left.
I believe the other option is to double nut it.