CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
Brian Diez

Profile:
Arrow Getting Photographers for Free

Do you need images for your website or facebook page, but don't have the cash to hire a photographer?

Here's how you can get a photographer to work for you free of charge.

When photographers start out they need to build a portfolio. Most are just trying to find interesting subjects to photograph.

A box full of hard bodies and intimidating looking toys is a photographer's paradise.

Post an ad on Craigslist offering a trade of images for models. Include a pic of some of your athletes (with their permission) and your box.

You'll soon have emails from photographers jockeying for the opportunity.

On a side note, you can also trade images for WODs and get updated images month after month.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Getting Photographers for Free

I know you're a savvy businessman, Brian, but I think giving people fair reimbursement for their work is the better way to go. Kind of reminds me of this: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/archive/i.../t-306672.html (wfs)

Trading photos for models? Nope.

Trading photos for WODs? Yes. Value for value. Or trade photos for a discounted monthly membership. I used to workout at a box where one of the members was a professional photographer. She got a discount on her membership to photograph special events like 31 Heroes, Barbells 4 Boobs, etc.

If you're looking for someone that eager to build their portfolio, they're probably just starting out. Another option would be to learn the basics of photography yourself.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
Brian Diez

Profile:

Fair is a relative term. What one person finds valuable another might deem worthless.

To each their own. So long as each feels like they won, they did.

A new photographer needs photos for their portfolio. Without a portfolio they can't get work, so you are trading value for value. You may very well be helping someone who needs a break like this one.

Sure, an established photographer may see this as a waste of their time, and possibly even be insulted, like the musician in your craigslist link. Then again, you're not looking for an established photographer.

Last edited by Brian Diez : 04-18-2014 at 08:11 AM. Reason: sounded rude
Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
Brian Diez

Profile:

I edited that last post. It came across rude and wasn't at all what I intended.

Sorry about that.

Last edited by Brian Diez : 04-18-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Diez View Post
Fair is a relative term. What one person finds valuable another might deem worthless.

To each their own. So long as each feels like they won, they did.

A new photographer needs photos for their portfolio. Without a portfolio they can't get work, so you are trading value for value. You may very well be helping someone who needs a break like this one.

Sure, an established photographer may see this as a waste of their time, and possibly even be insulted, like the musician in your craigslist link. Then again, you're not looking for an established photographer.
Yes, I agree with all of this. I just wanted to balance your idea so that it didn't come across as being too exploitative.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
Andy Shirley

Profile:

I'm an amateur photographer and trade photography services for membership at my gym, and for swag/gear at other gyms or for merch companies. Not worth the time doing it to "build a portfolio."(for me anyway)

http://www.andyshirleyphotography.com/CrossFit (wfs)
Old 04-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Snir Golan

Profile:

another option which might be better is to simply ask if one of your members is a photographer. i think that the chances of you having a photographer or at least someone who does photography as a hobby are very high. i know that i have photographed a few events at hour box just to help out the box.