CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
Daniel Martins

Profile:
Video Camera Suggestion

Hey,

So I'm wanting to get a nice but not to much of an over kill camera to record videos of my Box and some local Box's and I wanted some suggestions from some people.

I was thinking about a Cannon 5D Mark II. Does anyone use one to record video? If so what lenses do you suggest and other accessories?

I'm mostly going to be using it for CF Box tours and some WOD Demos.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Bill Peabody

Profile:
Re: Video Camera Suggestion

What is the budget for the camera and lenses? Why do you think you want - need the 5D?

You will be mostly shooting in low light situations (in boxes) and I figure you will not want to set up lighting so the lenses you pick are going to be critical, probably more critical then the camera body, you pick to the results.

I do not shoot any video with my dslr it is too old but I shoot a fair amount if youth basketball in ambient light.

If I were you I would consider a Rebel t4i or a 60D and then put any remaining money into lenses and a good mic to use with the camera.

Good Luck,
Bill
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Daniel Martins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peabody View Post
What is the budget for the camera and lenses? Why do you think you want - need the 5D?

You will be mostly shooting in low light situations (in boxes) and I figure you will not want to set up lighting so the lenses you pick are going to be critical, probably more critical then the camera body, you pick to the results.

I do not shoot any video with my dslr it is too old but I shoot a fair amount if youth basketball in ambient light.

If I were you I would consider a Rebel t4i or a 60D and then put any remaining money into lenses and a good mic to use with the camera.

Good Luck,
Bill
Yeah I don't know much about DSLR's and all that but I have a friend thats really good at photography that had a 5D and a 1D now suggested the 5D but really doesnt know much about video recording with his DSLR. I played with the 5DM2 but really couldnt understand the whole focus thing for it. I did see some nice quality videos online that said they were shot with a 5DM2 but like I said I don't really know much about this kind of stuff.

well if i can get everything like the body, lens, mic, and stabilizing handle around 2k id be happy but i very much doubt that
Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Bill Peabody

Profile:

Daniel,

I would suggest finding a camera shop where you live or maybe in Denver and tell them what you want to shoot and what your budget is.

The other option would be calling someone like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ (wfs).

Good Luck,
Bill
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Rob Brown

Profile:

I've shot a lot of video. If your not planning on going hard-core, I'd suggest a t3i, or even a canon powershot. I find most projects overestimate the camera itself but underestimate the editing, sound and camera work.

Shot with a cheap powershot.
http://youtu.be/fv5s14Esjdg
[safe]

Shot with a t3i.
http://youtu.be/2qglrWC3Zqs
[safe]

Cheers,
R
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Rob Brown

Profile:

Another note on shooting with a DSLR is that it can give an absolutely beautiful image. With a great lens, you could literally film cinema quality with it. However the down side is that it works best when you manually use the settings, focus and zoom. There is some progress being made with auto zoom, but you can still hear the servo working in the video. In my experience, it takes a good bit to get set up, and shooting.. If you don't feel like spending time looking at settings you might consider one of the canon hand held video cameras. ... but, the image is beautiful, and low light filming is a tad easier.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Richard Rubin

Profile:

I'm curious to see what camera you end up with. Last year I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i01 For the same purposes. It's a decent enough camera but the major annoying issue is that the default video files aren't usable in windows movie maker or Adobe Premiere, so I have to convert EVERYTHING. It's really frustrating, to the point where I'll probably just buy a new camera.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Rubin View Post
I'm curious to see what camera you end up with. Last year I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i01 For the same purposes. It's a decent enough camera but the major annoying issue is that the default video files aren't usable in windows movie maker or Adobe Premiere, so I have to convert EVERYTHING. It's really frustrating, to the point where I'll probably just buy a new camera.
Take a peek at sony Vegas. It's been very flexible for me. I have yet to run across a file it won't open. What is the file type?