CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Pamela Houck

Profile:
I'm another newbie (and hooked my family!)

So last week, I decided to go for it. I talked to two gym owners and picked one. I am more concerned about my health. 17 years ago, I gained 70 pounds in 2 months (sometimes it does happen overnight). Over the years, I've put on a few more pounds. Last year, I lost 20. This year, I decided I needed to lose most of the rest of the excess.

So I've been 3 times. My 17 and 20 year olds started too. This week is crazy so it won't be enough; but I'll do my best. I love it. This week, my 7yo daughter and 7yo foster daughter started. They love it also!

Anyway, so goals?

First goal is to get under 200 pounds. Eventually, 150 or under would be nice; but I'll probably set my goals in sets of 20 pounds at that point (so 199, 179, 159).

Second goal? I would LOVE to be able to do 10 dips at one time. Even better? Do them on the dip thingy instead of the box. To meet this goal, what I've been doing is as many as I can then finish up. But when I finish, I don't stop at 10. I stop when I must. Most of the time, I can do like 7/8 and 4/5, giving me about 12.

Third? Be at the gym no less than three times per week. Four would be best. Life with such a big family sometimes gets in the way. However, I put it on the calendar and have made plans so am trying to minimize "life" in that way.

Fourth? We *are* going to eat healthier. Basically, starting, I seem to be replacing the (horrible fast food option) with the salad or Subway. Well, that may be a start; but there are all sorts of reasons why eating at home would be beneficial. Mostly, I wish to focus on real foods. You know, foods that are what they are. An apple is an apple. Spinach is...<gasp> spinach. Anyway, so the biggest thing I need to work on is meal planning. I have to have the stuff in the house and know what is for supper EVERY day.

My main goal? I just want to be healthy. I want to be in less pain. I want fewer injuries from basic life stuff because I'm so weak from not doing anything the last 20 years. Seriously, I live in pain because of weakness. If I simply got fit, I may have some soreness from exercising; but that is much better than screaming pain for a week because I had the nerve to bend down to pick up my shoes! A few seeable muscles wouldn't be bad either

I do have one more silly goal. I would like to learn to do some basic gymnastics moves (cartwheel, back handspring, handstand, maybe a pull over on the bars). It doesn't have to be anything great, just something.

Okay, sorry to ramble. I didn't even tell basics. I'm Pamela. I'm 38 years old. I feel 88 much of the time. I need to weigh again, I guess, but I'm 224ish pounds (at 5'6"). I'm a homeschooling mom of...well, whatever the number is today. I have two big kids (20 and 17) who are doing CF with me. I have three little kids I recently adopted. Today, I have 5 foster kiddos too. I homeschool my little three (the big two graduated from homeschooling). Oh, and I have a little dog, a lhasa. She isn't going to be much help on my journey to getting fit as she lays around all day getting tummy rubs (what a life).

I hope to read and get to know a few of you a bit better. I hope to get some support. I hope I can even support someone else.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Tonya Martin

Profile:
Re: I'm another newbie (and hooked my family!)

Welcome to CrossFit, it can change your life. One WOD at a time, one day at a time. I am putting together a list of easy healthy recipes, I'll send them to you in the next month. Good luck and Welcome to CrossFit!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Patty Wells

Profile:

Did I get that right that you have 10 kids? You are taking care of 10 kids, a dog, maybe a Sig Other (didn't mention) and yourself? Girl you are my new hero because I have a hard time dragging my single 32 year old self to the box. Welcome I am new and starting were you are weight wise. Excited to continue the journey. If you would ever like someone to check in with let me know! I am on facebook ect.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

WOW - good for you. I cannot imagine making time for myself with 10 children, but I'm impressed that you are committing to doing so. I am sure that raising foster kids is very rewarding, and being healthy and being around for a long time will be your reward to them. That's how I see it. I work my butt off in the gym so that I can be healthy, run with the kids, play soccer, wrestle, help at practice, or whatever without being the dad that can't move.

You're on the right track. Continue to carve out time for you and start slow. Rome was not built in a day!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Pamela Houck

Profile:

Patty, can you believe I forgot hubby?!?!?! I think I'll forget to mention that to him I so could not do ANYTHING I do without his full support and help! There are five of us doing CF. Maybe hubby will join us one day also.

Joe, that is what I want. I chase the kids and have fun, but I want more. I want morning jogs instead of walks. I want 5Ks and hiking to supplement are card games and coloring. More than anything, I simply want to raise my new children (we adopted three in July) and help a few more through the years.

Last edited by Pamela Houck : 01-23-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Patty Wells

Profile:

Dude Pam you rock...I want to be like you someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Houck View Post
Patty, can you believe I forgot hubby?!?!?! I think I'll forget to mention that to him I so could not do ANYTHING I do without his full support and help! There are five of us doing CF. Maybe hubby will join us one day also.

Joe, that is what I want. I chase the kids and have fun, but I want more. I want morning jogs instead of walks. I want 5Ks and hiking to supplement are card games and coloring. More than anything, I simply want to raise my new children (we adopted three in July) and help a few more through the years.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
Pamela Houck

Profile:

Okay, weirdness.

Last night, I was at a Christian Meeting (think church, we just don't call it that) and afterwards a lady came up to me. She asks, "are you doing P90X again?*" I tell her no, going to CrossFit. Well, she said that when I walked past with kids (potty break, ya know), she noticed I was looking slimmer! Is that even possible?!?!?

(* Note: There is no again. I was never able to DO P90X really. I have it and several other BeachBody videos, even had good results once upon a time with Power90; but I simply cannot "just push play" every day which is why I decided to go with CF)

Ok, have to go earn a shower
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Pamela Houck

Profile:

I'm trying not to get discouraged; but I got the flu so haven't been back to CF in a week!
I'm hoping to jump back in Monday morning
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Richie Glanzer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Houck View Post
I'm trying not to get discouraged; but I got the flu so haven't been back to CF in a week!
I'm hoping to jump back in Monday morning
Pamela, congrats on your new start. And I understand you probably cant just eat paleo and perfect right now. I cant either. But if you can lose the Subway. Its not healthy and bread is an enemy for weight loss.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Pam, you're from near where I grew up (partly anyway). I was born a little east of Greenville, and spent my high school years over closer to Texarkana, but I went all over East Texas once I had a car!

Welcome, and just remember that consistency over the long term is the most important thing. Don't beat yourself up over a missed workout or even a few, just get back in and keep banging them out. The results will come if you stay at it.

Also, exercise only helps with weight loss up to a point, and diet is where the real progress is made in that arena. Paleo and zone are sort of the crossfit go-to diets, but find what works for you and your family and that you can keep doing for the long haul. A 'perfect' diet that you can't stick to is useless. Plus, like with the lapses in exercise days, a cheat on the diet isn't the end of the world. In fact, I would recommend planning cheat meals to help maintain your sanity.

Last, but not least, whether you do it on these boards or in a notebook at home, keep a log to chart your progress. It definitely helps with motivation. P. S. to the last but not least, I've found that finding a competition I want to enter and committing to it gives me a little extra motivation to get my butt to the gym when I feel like slacking. Good luck!