CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Brian Patrick

Profile:
Knee Gets Cold When It Is Bent For Extended Periods Of Time

So in lieu of my recent foot injury I got to thinking about all my other little bumps and bruises. The biggest red flag is my right knee, I am an ATG squatter and when I say ATG I mean my *** is literally an inch and a half from the ground in any squat you can think of. Maybe this has contributed to my "knee thing" maybe not. So the story, this occurred before I began lifting strictly with an Oly coach, but a few months into starting Crossfit my right knee would sometimes pop in the middle of a workout and basically it would suck after that. The pop would create pain when I put pressure on my knee to do any type of squat or any type of bending for that matter. The pain would last about 24-32 hours worst was 2 days, it always went away. I got stronger it happened less and less and eventually I got to a point where I stopped happening altogether, my knee would sometimes pop and I would get that twinge of fear but no pain I was fine. Another thing, I had it associated with squatting at first, but most of the time I would know if my knee would be angry or not from my warmup 400 meter run. But the pop was a definite indication of up and coming pain. What has got me racking my brain for answers is that fact that now that I have taken about 5 weeks off of any lifting partly due to finals, my random foot injury that happened in the middle of December, and then a family vacation where we just lazed around(it was awesome).

Now the kicker, I have gotten noticeably weaker and softer but the "knee thing" is back. I have a tendency to grasp my right knee with it at my chest when I sit to study, I'm a lefty if it helps paint the picture, after a few minutes I'll switch legs or drop my leg. The weird thing is that my right knee gets cold now only in the region of my medial meniscus and my vastus medialis. It stays cold and sometimes it is cold to the touch i also get a feeling like nerve pain because I feel a prickly feeling, not like pins and needles let me emphasize that, but a twinge that travels a couple inches up my vastus medialis. It seems to originate at the medial meniscus and travels up. It is not constant but I can replicate it by either keeping my knee flexed for extended periods of time or just by sitting at my desk at work. I can't seem to remedy this with my TENS unit or with ice, if I rub it, it won't go away, icy-hot doesn't do jack squat either.

I read somewhere that it is possibly necrotic tissue, hopefully I'm wrong God I really want to be wrong about that. I wanna save a few dollars in doctors visits and see if I can fix this on my own before I seek professional help.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Brian Patrick

Profile:
Re: Knee Gets Cold When It Is Bent For Extended Periods Of Time

I did some reading and found an article on runners knee. The symptoms almost completely line up except for the cold sensation. But the treatment using strength training might explain why my pain would go away as I got stronger and now that I'm a little off my game, it has returned.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Brian Patrick

Profile:

Ok I don't think runner's knee solves my problems because most of the time the pain is located underneath the patella which is NOT the case. So I have a question. Does medial tilt exist and does it occur in the knee? Literally every article I have read is about lateral tilt even if it is addressing issues with medial tilt. I also found an article on a bicycling forum about the femoral artery getting kinked sometimes and can cause VMO pain. I attached a picture to give someone an idea. It's a crude representation of where all the discomfort is localized.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b.pfap.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	10777  
Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
Evelyn Scarborough

Profile:

I know you don't want to hear this, but if you are getting a cold sensation that tends to indicate lack of blood flow. Which, if true, could be dangerous to your knee. I would go to an orthopedist without passing go, don't mess with that. The only way to know what's really going on is to have imaging done.

Pain in that area typically means meniscal pain, along with the sensations you describe and especially the popping when you bend/squat with the knee. A "loose body" (i.e., piece of meniscus, bone, etc.) floating around in there will cause the "come and go" type of pain.

Couple this with the fact that rest, TENS, ice has not resolved it, it is time to go see an MD.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Brian Patrick

Profile:

I have an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon who performed both an arthroscopy on my right shoulder in 2006 and a subacromial decompression on my left shoulder in 2010. Both surgeries were complete successes . The problem is that it isn't until January 15th. And not working out is driving me crazy.