CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Carl Amolat

Profile:
Benefits of Strength Training for Endurance

I recently came upon an article on the benefits of strength training for endurance on Gym Jones.com recently. The article is listed here (w/f/s) and details the benefits of strength training intelligently applied for an endurance athlete.

As an admitted follower of CrossFit Endurance and previously Rob Shaul's Military Athlete and Mountain Athlete (the latter programs often emphasized strength as the key component for nearly any athletic endeavor) I had to find the article quite intriguing and thought I would share it with fellow CrossFitters.

I wonder what opinions other CrossFitters might have on this article's points.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
S.S.

Profile:

Re: Benefits of Strength Training for Endurance

I agree with many of the points.

Except that a lot of those things he describes are not actually for increasing strength.

Quote:
Movements should be executed for repetitions; try a set of 15 Tabata Thrusters (20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest repeated 15 times) with a barbell weighing 65-95 pounds. Apart from the crazy metabolic stress, the big, compound movement will also cause a strong neuro-endocrine response as well as muscular adaptations that improve strength.
Unless your max thruster isn't that strong (like 155 lbs or under) using 95 lb thrusters interval style will not improve your strength.

It will however improve your muscular endurance, which may or may not be helpful for whatever endurance sport you're pursuing.

Quote:
Perhaps the most important gains may be realized by strengthening the hands, wrists, and arms.
I don't know where he gets this idea. For a mountain climber, maybe, I'm not sure, but for endurance athletes in general, I don't see how that can be true.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Carl Amolat

Profile:

The strengthening of hands, wrists, and arms idea is useful for climbers and cross country skiers (guys who have to hold ski poles in their hands) and for my brand of endurance athlete (soldier) that is quite valuable considering I'll be carrying my M4 carbine or M16A4 rifle in my hands while on patrol. So I'd have to say that that's useful advice.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
The strengthening of hands, wrists, and arms idea is useful for climbers and cross country skiers (guys who have to hold ski poles in their hands) and for my brand of endurance athlete (soldier) that is quite valuable considering I'll be carrying my M4 carbine or M16A4 rifle in my hands while on patrol. So I'd have to say that that's useful advice.

So for whom is that article written?
Old 11-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I don't know where he gets this idea. For a mountain climber, maybe, I'm not sure, but for endurance athletes in general, I don't see how that can be true.
Yeah, he was thinking about his sports (mountaineering and cycling). When I was checking what he had one person do for the Wasatch 100, it had more core work, some intervals and GPP, and regular long endurance work.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Carl Amolat

Profile:

I took it as useful for general endurance - especially for my line of work. I tend to prefer hybrid programs to get myself in better condition for my job as an engineer soldier.

I'd agree with Jonathan in his statement that the article was largely intended for mountaineers and climbers but definitely applicable for soldiers as well.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
Hand and wrist strength never crossed my mind as a concern in all the time I carried an M16/M4 in Iraq or an M249 or mortar tube in training. It's not worth worrying about.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

Optimal level of strength, speed, and endurance > hand and wrist strength.

The former will probably take up the majority of your life to where the latter won't really matter...unless you're a CG rescue swimmer holding another rescue swimmer by the fingertips dangling from a torn up cable that won't retract, in a helicopter that is running out of fuel.

(I just watched the guardian about an hour ago...)
Old 11-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
Optimal level of strength, speed, and endurance > hand and wrist strength.
I agree with you 100% Daniel. I was simply guesstimating what the Gym Jones author intended in the article about grip strength for endurance athletes of the soldier or mountaineer variety.

Quote:
Hand and wrist strength never crossed my mind as a concern in all the time I carried an M16/M4 in Iraq or an M249 or mortar tube in training. It's not worth worrying about.
Similar observations when carrying my M4 on patrol in both training and in the Sandbox myself Eric. I simply was extrapolating where the grip strength bit he mentioned in the article would come into play and that was the first thing that readily sprang to mind.