CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-08-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
Mike Sasin

Profile:

I was doing some research on training for strength-endurance and came across this article. Although I am not a distance runner, I nevertheless thought this was interesting. Seems very similar to the CF methodology.

http://www.coachr.org/dista.htm
Old 01-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Mike-
Great article! He even recomends a period of barefoot running!
Robb
Old 01-10-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
Chris Brogan...

Profile:  
I did lots of barefoot running last year as part of my training, on the beach. There are a few caveats that might keep someone from doing it: really bad pronation or supination come right to mind. But other than that, if your foot is more or less neutral, and if you want to try a mile or so and see how you feel during recovery, I feel that it gave me a great advantage in ankle strength, especially for lateral movement. This helped out tons during trailrunning.

--Chris...

===============
chrisbrogan.com
===============
Old 01-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
Paul Brewer-Jensen

Profile:  
Mike,

Mostly good stuff. The one thing that jumed out at me as being dangerously misinformative is the bit about heel striking. My dad has been a successful track and field coach and a cross country coach for the past 40 years. He subscribes to the track coach journal. He also teaches at the USATF level I and level II schools. I have asked him about proper running form.

If you heel strike or land heel first while you run then you are overstriding. A runner who overstrides is putting the brakes on with every footfall. Tis not proper form if maximizing running economy is desired.

Proper running form is ball-heel-ball. To get an Idea of how that feels do sprints on a grassy field with no shoes on and with a 5# dumbell in each hand. The dumbells will tell you what your arm should be doing. Your bare feet will tell you how your feet should land. If you are running correctly then you should be able to run barefoot on pavement without destroying your heels. The running action should be smooth and fluid and your feet should paw the ground with every footfall.

Most "running" shoes are made incorrectly with the assumtion that heel striking is proper form. Thick heel padding is the result which makes it almost impossible to run with correct form. Rule of thumb, the thickness of the sole should be the same under the heels as it is under the balls of the feet if the shoes are to be considered good running shoes.

As for resistance training, my dad gets his skinny little cross country runners in the weight room to do the powerlifts. He even has them do a powerlifting meet. He has them do interval runs on hills up and down. Long slow running is rarely used.

Obviously, the running form issue is a pet peeve of mine.

Happy trails,
Paul
Old 01-12-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Paul, what are your thoughts on the Pose method of running which Eugene described in a recent thread on marathon running?
Old 01-18-2005, 01:07 PM   #6
Paul Brewer-Jensen

Profile:  
Paul T.,

Sorry to take so long to respond. Work and weekend projects took precedence.

I also had to look up info about the pose method because I had not heard of it before. Dr. Romanov is advocating for the same basic running technique that Gordon Pirie talks about in his online book, "Running fast and injury free" and that my dad teaches to his runners. I think the pose method is pushing correct technique.

You could save yourself some money by practicing your technique barefoot. Your feet will tell you if you are landing correctly or not. I find short interval training with an emphasis on quality runs beneficial for improving running form. A 1:1 work rest ratio seems good to that end. During the rest part of the intervals is a good time to insert pullups or dips or ...

The pose method advice about footwear is good.

What is your background with running?

Paul B