CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
Doug Brubacher

Profile:
During yesterday's WOD on the last lift (only 315 lbs for me) I experienced numbness in my legs after setting the bar down.
It passed within seconds but scared me a bit as this was a new sensation.
I often experience "stars"/light headedness when pushing myself in the WOD but...

Any comments welcome.

I've been doing the WODs full time since around April, eased in when it fit my hockey schedule in Feb and March.

I'm 41, 165-170, 5'11". I feel great now, although I have a form of arthritis (Ankylosing Spondylitis and take Enbrel 50 mg per week).
Old 08-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Travis Loest

Profile:
Doug, I got light headed and my knees buckled about 5 seconds after I attempted to deadlift a little under 300# as well, it would have been a PR for me but I only got it about 6 inches off the ground and just couldn't get it any higher. I think the dizzyness and weak-knees was from the total effort that I was putting into trying to get the weight up. I don't think there was any harm in it. Just my body telling me I pushed as hard as I could. I experience the same "stars" you are talking about during some of my workouts, I just chalk it up to pushing myself, that is usually when I back off a little bit. Hope this helps.
travis
Old 08-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
Doug Brubacher

Profile:
Travis, thanks for the reply.
I'm okay with the "stars", it was the numbness in my legs that worried me. Made me wonder if I was putting too much stress on my spine or something similar. Maybe bad form, although I was recently told to lift the weight up slowly to start and gradually accelerate, and I'm trying my best to keep my chest up, I'm definitely looking up/at myself in the mirror.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:
Doug, when did you get dx'd with Ank Spon? As I'm sure you know, the fusion usually starts in the SI and lower lumbar area. Numbness could certainly be a warning that there's too much stress down there. FWIW, I'd be careful.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
Doug Brubacher

Profile:
William, thanks for the reply.
Maybe 6 years ago. My rheumatologist thinks I'm crazy doing anything this intense but in general I'm feeling great. I know if I talk to the doctor he'll say "if it hurts when you move that way stop moving that way", not what I want to hear.
Based on your email I'm guessing you work at Harbin Clinic. Are you a doctor? Could I email you offline?
I think I was diagnosed early and haven't had any real deterioration. My doctor is always very happy with my range of motion, and from the activities I do I really don't see any impact.
Before starting Enbrel I was definitely impaired from the inflamation I was experiencing (I could give you a list of the NSAIDs and other anti inflamatories I have used offline), but as I said now things are great.
Enbrel is actually supposed to prevent deterioration from happening.
For the next few Deadlift WODs I was planning to stick with a MAX of 315. Do you think that would be pushing it too much?
Trying to figure out if I should be concerned about my form, or if I'm just reaching some limitations of my body?
Old 08-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Injuries/Medical.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
William Hunter

Profile:
Doug, yeah I'm at Harbin Clinic. I'm a Chiropractor in the Neurosciences Division. It's a big clinic, we have 3 rheumatologists.

Personally, I applaud your efforts to maintain your current activity level, DL's included. Perhaps the majority of docs would be concerned about the intensity of your workouts, but it's obviously working. I think I can speak for all docs when I say that there is plenty more frustration from those patients that won't do anything to try and help their condition, whatever it is, rather than the individuals who workout with vigor.

HOWEVER, numbness following exercise should always be respected, especially when it's the combo of a lower back intense movement like a DL and a condition like ank spon. I would try and stop short of numbness on future ME days. Maybe back off 10-20% and gauge your body's reaction.

The Enbrel sounds like it's doing its job, and your rheumatologist is on the ball. A little head shaking on his/her part concerning your workouts isn't the worst thing...

Good luck (you can email me offline but I won't be back in the office until Monday)