CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
Alwyn Quebido

Profile:
HA! Made you look!

Sorry...I couldn't help myself. But in truth, I'm one among the many that recently discovered Crossfit via that film (a mediocre one at best, which I hate to say because I had such high hopes...but that's for another discussion!). A friend e-mailed me a link that led me to that "workout" (yes, I know it was more like a test, so relax those trigger fingers), with my friend daring me to try it. Well, I took the dare...sort of. I told him I'd give it a shot on New Year's Day next year. So of course I went online looking for other training methods outside of the usual bodybuilding and boxing styles I'm accustomed to, found the Gym Jones site, which in turn brought me here.

Background: I've been an off-and-on bodybuilder since high school (I'm now 34), and have been dabbling in various martial arts for a few years now...wing chun, Muay Thai, boxing, and now Eskrima. I have a powerlifter build, but am looking to get leaner, faster, and more balanced than I've ever been before.

So anyway, I did my first WOD, which was today (Thursday, 7/19). After my warm-up (which consisted of me going through some Eskrima drills, which can be a workout in itself), I hit the stop watch and went for it...and Jesus...it took me about 30 minutes to get through it...and it almost killed me! Needless to say, I'm hooked.

I'm definitely looking forward to tomorrow's workout, and am really happy to have discovered Crossfit. Only thing I'm annoyed about is the fact that I didn't discover this sooner!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
John McBrien

Profile:
Alwyn,

A very warm welcome! Regardless of how you came here, I think you'll continue to love what you find and will enjoy the CF workouts. Always feel free to ask questions; this community is a wonderfully valuable source of information.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
Alwyn,

Welcome aboard! I started a few months back with Cindy - v similar to the workout you did. It seemed doable. Man did it kill me.

A few short months later and I (relatively) ripped through this workout and felt great! Today, I'm feeling that beautiful effect of having been hit by the workout hammer.

Welcome to Crossfit,
Colm
Old 07-20-2007, 04:37 AM   #4
Lisa Quinn

Profile:
Welcome Alwyn~ Better late than never finding CF:-)
Old 07-20-2007, 05:04 AM   #5
Gina Johnson

Profile:
yeah, that's the worst part of all of this..wishing you discovered CF sooner.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Welcome!

Feel free to ask any questions here.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Kevin McKay

Profile:
welcome!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Alwyn Quebido

Profile:
Thanks, ya'll! It's great to see and feel people be this hardcore about workout and fitness philosophy.