CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
Gregory Norman

Profile:
Staying in the Zone!!!

I need help guys!!! I'm having a hard time staying in the zone. I've been eating anything and everything for years. I'm 52 years old. I started crossfitting in June of this year. I can honestly say that crossfitters who've managed to stay in the zone look fantastic. I guess I just need motivation. Also, working as a registered nurse doesn't always alow me the time to slip away and eat a zone meal unless it's a zone bar. You guys are a whole lot more knowlegable than I'll ever be in regards to the zone diet. I thank you in advance.

With Great Respect to the Crossfit Community,

Greg
Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Leah VanHoose

Profile:
Re: Staying in the Zone!!!

The best advice I can give you is to PLAN! Pick a day of the week and make your meals for that week. Portion everything out into baggies or tupperware then just grab what you need for the day and take it with you. If you plan it is sooooo much easier than trying to get your blocks in on the fly. Just a tidbit for you.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I don't think it is necessary to be 'in the zone' to look fantastic. Most of those 'in the zone' look fantastic because they are elite athletes, who make good food choices, and eat enough to fuel their workouts & life but not gain or retain a lot of body fat.

Will the zone coupled with crossfit get you there eventually? very possible.

Do you have to do the zone to get there? No.

If your schedule makes the zone difficult, perhaps you might look into an alternate 'diet' - look into paleo coupled with intermittent fasting. The paleo aspect ensures you make good food choices most of the time, the intermittent fasting has many benefits, the one with the quickest payoff for you will be that it will work splendidly with your schedule.

Of course, you can try the zone if you wish - but I just don't want you to think that it is the only way to looking and feeling fantastic

good luck!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

also don't to so concerned about eating a meal at a specific time. I'm no IF expert but just look at it as if you are doing a short fast. Lets say you had breakfast at 8 am and for some reason can't eat lunch (regularly noon) until 2-3 pm, don't sweat it. Just imagine youre a caveman, they couldn't eat at specific times. Makes sense to me lol.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
JxCx

Profile:  

I have the same problem, i ate whatever i wanted whenever i wanted and it finally cought up....what leah said has helped a ton, precook enough for however many days you would like and portion it out so you just grab it...i found thats my worst problem, like im just to lazy to cook so ill grab somethin easy like a hot pocket. Pre-cooking helps a ton
Old 12-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Scott Ponte

Profile:

If you can take a small cooler or something that opens up options. As RN your always on the move, but you take sit downs when you do paperwork or things like that right?

If I were you I would take a look @ CF Journal 21 (Its free) and basically figure out preperations from the list of zone foods that match your schedule. For instance.

String Cheese
Can of Sardines
Fruit Mix
Nuts

Most appetizing mix? Probably not, but you could substitute sardines for lunch meat slices or beef jerky. Its something you could hold in your hand and kinda munch on while your filling out paperwork or something sedentry.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ue21_May04.pdf (WFS)
Old 12-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Gregory Norman

Profile:

[QUOTE=Gregory Norman;472889]I need help guys!!! I'm having a hard time staying in the zone. I've been eating anything and everything for years. I'm 52 years old. I started crossfitting in June of this year. I can honestly say that crossfitters who've managed to stay in the zone look fantastic. I guess I just need motivation. Also, working as a registered nurse doesn't always alow me the time to slip away and eat a zone meal unless it's a zone bar. You guys are a whole lot more knowlegable than I'll ever be in regards to the zone diet. I thank you in advance.

With Great Respect to the Crossfit Community,

Greg[Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.]
Old 12-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Gregory Norman

Profile:

Hey, thanks everyone for your input on staying in the zone. I'll definitely follow the advice.

With Great Respect for the Crossfit Community,

Greg