CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
jaclyn troup

Profile:  
switching to CF

I've been weightlifting (for fitness competitions) for 2 years now, and am familiar with most squats, dl, presses, cleans, etc.. mostly 6-12 rep range.
i NEVER do cardio but now im looking to also improve my cardio without only running.. its boring and my knees dont like it. im tired of my typical weight split and not feeling like i`m getting any fitter, even though I have a fair amount of muscle for a female (23 years, 5'4, 125 lbs). this is why i want to start CF.
ive had shoulder injuries in the past so i want to build my way up slowly.. does anyone have a link to a beginner program i can follow? i had found one once before called the combat fitness traning or something similiar but i cant find it anymore and my search didnt yield anything. (Im also in the army..)

thanks!!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
Matthew Stafford

Profile:
Re: switching to CF

There is a link on the main CrossFit website named "Start Here". Clicking that will give you a nice summary, but hovering over it will provide you with a menu that includes "Nutrition Info" and "Brand X Scaled Workouts". The Brand X link is what you are looking for, as they provide scaled workouts for beginners.

Take some time and peruse the main site, it has almost all the answers you need.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclyn troup View Post
I've been weightlifting (for fitness competitions) for 2 years now, and am familiar with most squats, dl, presses, cleans, etc.. mostly 6-12 rep range.
i NEVER do cardio but now im looking to also improve my cardio without only running.. its boring and my knees dont like it. im tired of my typical weight split and not feeling like i`m getting any fitter, even though I have a fair amount of muscle for a female (23 years, 5'4, 125 lbs). this is why i want to start CF.
ive had shoulder injuries in the past so i want to build my way up slowly.. does anyone have a link to a beginner program i can follow? i had found one once before called the combat fitness traning or something similiar but i cant find it anymore and my search didnt yield anything. (Im also in the army..)

thanks!!
CrossFit is for you! Cardio improvement with minimal running... and you'll enjoy running more with CF involvement, at least in my experience.

Start real slow, scaling everything especially because of your previous shoulder injury. Start with Brand X scaled workouts.. that's the "beginner" around here. Go to the main page > Start here > Brand X....

Enjoy, and welcome to the Kool-Aid convention.

Also, if you haven't done so, pick up Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. He outlines the best form for these few Oly lifts we do in CF. If you've trained other places, your form might be out of whack compared to CF and SS.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Brian Goff

Profile:

Just to confirm your thoughts... I was only training with Crossfit and had no trouble getting to the top of Mt. Rainier when before I could barely finish a 5k (5 months).

If you want another serious boost to your cardio without much running, checkout crossfitendurance.com. It's all about hitting HIIT to boost your cardio. Pretty short workouts and real effective.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Michael Blazek

Profile:

Bob I'm not Vain!

Anyways Welcome to Crossfit!!!

You will find that most people on this site do not actually enjoy running. But it gets easier the more you practice. I still suck at it and my legs don't like it but now I look at it as a time to clear my head.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Goff View Post
Just to confirm your thoughts... I was only training with Crossfit and had no trouble getting to the top of Mt. Rainier when before I could barely finish a 5k (5 months).
Not to take this thread completely off track, but any more info on your Rainer expedition/training? A link or something? I've been seriously considering it since I moved here but have heard horror stories. But sometimes I think that mountain is mocking me.

To the original poster - don't forget you can always substitute rowing on the C2 instead of running if your joints are screaming. I do this often, and so do many of the actual elite CFers (like OPT). I have friends that sub similar time on ellipticals, though I personally hate them (ellipticals, not the friends).

Since I'm recovering from shoulder surgery, I would also advise to ease VERY slowly into dips and ring dips if you have current shoulder pain. It's very easy to overdo them and cause a lot of pain. And surgery really, really sucks.

You might want to do some searching on MEBB as well, if you're worried about muscle loss. If you're the girl I found in a quick google search of your name (not a stalker, just curious due to another thread in this forum), you already have a decent amount of muscle mass and I imagine pure CF as prescribed would lean you up a bit. Add in some heavy lifting and you'd be fine, and not nearly as bored as most "weight training splits" would leave you. Or if you're happy with your current splits, just add a few tabata intervals post-lifting during the week for your "cardio."
Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Jacob, I think if it's the same Jaclyn Troup I found, then she definitely has a good to great amount of muscle mass and is in pretty good shape. I'm not sure how my idea ranks as to fitness competitions as I only vaguely have seen a couple and mainly watched their gymnastics (had to as I was coaching a few would be fitness competitors in tumbling and gymnastics moves for their routines).

I'll agree with Jacob that just add Tabata workouts for your cardio or use a rower. Swimming might be another possibility if you don't mind chlorine or like swimming.

I think quite a few of the prominent CF gals would have physiques that would lend themselves well to fitness comps.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I can't stand running, but it's gotten a lot better though CF. I actually look at the 5ks as a challenge now. In fact, um.. I can pretty much say I look at all of the runs as personal challenges to beat my own time. I think running is an important part of the program that you should follow when it pops up.
Btw... Veronica Davis is a fitness competitor- here is her log (WFS) http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=24031
Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
jaclyn troup

Profile:  

thanks for all your input!

and yup i'm the jaclyn that comes up in google... i hope to maintain my muscle, maybe add a bit but stay lean-ish. i wont compete for a while so main goal is to get fitter and stronger for my routine. im excited to start up (slowly) when my shoulder will let me! for now i'm stuck with lower body.
i will have to check out veronica's journal, thanks!