CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:
Staying On Track

So I'm having a real hard time staying on track with my Zone diet. I'm fine during the day but when the evening comes around I crave carbs and break. I plan all my meals and everyting is good but i just cant stick with it longer than 2 or 3 days. Please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Jeff Evans

Profile:
Re: Staying On Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
So I'm having a real hard time staying on track with my Zone diet. I'm fine during the day but when the evening comes around I crave carbs and break. I plan all my meals and everyting is good but i just cant stick with it longer than 2 or 3 days. Please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!
I have a tough time with this too. The thing I have found that works the best is... just make sure you don't have that stuff around. Sounds simple but it's the most effective and easiest thing to start with. I donated all this crap to a food bank when I started a paleo WOE. When you go shopping don't buy it.

Of course there are times when you're out (work, party, etc.) and there are bad "foods" sitting around, free for the taking. In those cases it's beneficial to have a fallback snack available to mitigate the cravings. For me this is a can of Genova tuna (in olive oil) or some nuts or even a square of 85% dark chocolate.

If the cravings are very bad I might wonder if you're simply not eating enough in general, fat in particular. Ultimately though you'll just have to get through the cravings (supposedly they subside after a few weeks on the Zone). Good luck and stay tough.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
Jeff Dale

Profile:

Try shifting your blocks around or your eating window. It would help to see that your meals look like, how many blocks you eat, when you eat, etc.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Faith Reynado

Profile:

I used to struggle with that a lot as well, and actually still find it hard to adjust away from the "late-night snack" rut. If you've just started Zone, it's hardest in the beginning, but as your body adapts and you start seeing results, it becomes much easier. If you've been doing it for a while, I would just reiterate the last post about rearranging your meal timing, or maybe try getting into an early bedtime to avoid temptation.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

thanks for the advice. I wouldnt say I'm new to the Zone just havent kept to it for a long time. Here's what my typical day looks like food wise. Thanks again for the responses!

Name: Jakub
BF: ~13%
Weight: 160-165
LBM: 152
Daily Protein Requirements: 137 g
Daily Blocks: 19

BREAKFAST
4 egg whites: 14 g protein
1.5 scoops protein: 21 g protein
~.75 cup oatmeal: 45 g carbs
15 almonds: 7.5 g fat

LUNCH
1 can tuna[w/ chopped celery and peppers]: 35 g protein
1 apple18 g carbs
1 orange 18 g carbs
1 tbsp mayo: 10 g fat

SNACK[twice daily]
1 scoop protein
1 apple/orange
6 almonds

DINNER
1 large chicken breast: ~35 g protein
1 cup broccoli: ~9 g carb
1 apple: 18 g carb
1 orange: 18 g carb
handful almonds: 7.5 g fat
Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

19 blocks seems like it's a lot for your bodyweight? I'm 23 @ about 175 and eating 17...and that seems like a lot of food to me.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

so how much should I be eating, I thought I did everything right when I was calculating my blocks??? im getting 133 grams of protein from 19 blocks, which is less than I am actually supposed to be getting.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

too much fruit and not enough veggie in my opinion. are you trying to lose weight? are you very active or do you just do crossfit with a sedentary job?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

active, Xfit MWF and train for soccer 5 days a week (i.e. lots of running) and caddy daily (walk about 4 miles per round of golf) I'm trying to put on some muscle so I dont get bullied around as much during games and lose some bodyfat. I tend to eat more veggies at dinner what I have posted is just a general guideline cuz sometimes my mom doesnt have enough veggies for dinner but usually i have lots of veggies for dinner.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Jeff Dale

Profile:

Your activity level is higher than most, I think it justifies the 19 blocks.
It could be all the fruit that is giving you the carb cravings late in the day.

One thing I don't adhere to "zone wise" is eating within one hour of waking. That allows me to push my eating window later into the day.
I wake at 830ish, half a 1/2 cup of coffee and workout around 930-10 then I don't eat until at least 1 hour after I workout. so my eating window is from like 12-930, then I don't eat again till noon the following day. I work till 11:30pm so my hours are a little different then most people.

I don't know what you daily schedule looks like, but you could try eating more greens/veggies and less fruit and shift your eating window back later in the day.

I'm not sure I understand you goals though... Are you trying to cut the bf and gain a little muscle? If so, then stay with the zone. If you trying to just add muscle to the bf you have then ratchet up the fat blocks X2.

I would think that leaning out a little would increase you performance and soccer game, not increasing the weight you need to move around the field.