CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Adam Rosner

Profile:
I was wondering what you hard core cross fitters do to stay motivated and diciplined with both exercise and dieting.

I find that I will go through phases of being really good and phases of not doing any exercise and relaxing my diet. Unfortunately this is probably the reason I've never gotten rid of that last 2-3% body fat that I would've liked to.

So how do you cross fitters stay motivated day in and day out?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
I stay motivated every time I see something I don’t like in the mirror.

Talking to the people here on line helps.

Self policing

Keeping a daily log either on line (“Workout Logs” section) or on your own hard drive to monitor your performance.

Getting the occasional complement from someone.

Note: It's never easy and there is no easy cookie-cutter answer. Discipline is a daily ritual. There are good days and bad days. Just try to keep the bad days at a minimal. Since I work at a desk mostly ( awwww, the life of a computer geek) it is easy for me to snack on healthy foods and stay away from the crap in the vending machines because I never have to worry about being on the run constantly, been there…done that...hated it. I bring in healthy snacks( fresh deli sliced turkey meat, non-fat yogurt, hard boiled eggs, fresh veggies, ect in a large cooler with ice blocks) from home and keep non-refrigerated stuff at my desk (canned fruit, raisins, unsalted almonds low-fat beef jerky, ect, ect). Like I said, it’s never easy but depending on your lifestyle and motivation you can make it work wherever you find yourself. Eventually, these positive things do become habbit forming.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Ken Mindoro

Profile:
I have a larger photo of my avatar that I look at whenever I start feeling lazy.

<---
Old 08-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Don't let a slip happen two days in a row.

Post results, even if you're embarassed by them. The on-line peer pressure works, at least for me.

t
Old 08-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Actually, you know what helps? Being disciplined in the small things. Seriously.

If you're eating lunch at work, you just finished it, and have to throw away a paper plate or something, then do it IMMEDIATELY. Don't EVER let yourself say "I'll do that in a little bit". Unless the house is on fire, or your kid is about to fall out the window or something like that, finish what you're doing immediately. Then tell yourself over and over "I ALWAYS finish things I'm working on". Eventually (usually takes at least 30 days of doing these sort of things) your subconscious will make you do those things naturally, without having to think about it.

Oh, and don't ever let that slip then, if you let it slip once or twice, it's going to take five times as much effort as was lost in the "slip" to get back to where you were before you let things go.

This will eventually translate into being disciplined in all areas of life. If you're not disciplined in the small things, you'll never be disciplined in the big things. The Bible says basically the same thing, Luke 16:10 - "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much."
Old 08-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Matt, that is a lot like St. Therese and the "Little Way." Worth looking at. Discipline in the little things is one of if not the best way to have discipline in the big things.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Coach Glassman on virtuosity: the doing of common things, uncommonly well.

www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/Virtuosity.pdf

(safe)
Old 08-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

i guess everybody has something to keep them going, and some way of staying disciplined, mine? i want to be the best at everything i do, i will never be there unless i keep improving, and there is ALWAYS something to improve upon, i want to be a Navy SEAL, i have to work hard, my life depends on it, but before i wanted to become a SEAL, my motivation and will to win was haphazard, i am happy that i have something to look forward to, and after BUD/s i will keep improving, life is about improving upon yourself...otherwise...what are you doing here?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
Steve Liberati

Profile:
One of my worst fears is bad health/performance/body comp....

I look at it if I'm not moving forward, I'm moving backwards....

While we all have that strong competitive spirit in us, some choose to silence while others choose to gasoline it.

I always tell my wife that the day I lose that spirit, is the day I lose my self-worth.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
Charles Bennington

Profile:
Read the times and watch the videos of some of the athletic beasts that roam this site. Always puts my head right...