CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
i am 3 days post op for major abdominal surgery. I wont be up to cf for several weeks (4+). SO far I havent had much appetite but am sticking to my paleo principals just b/c it feels right/good. Should I give in and feed myself other things--just focusing on healing? I am worried if I do than I will jeapordize healing. My friends and family are frustrated as they are trying to help me with foods since noone knows what I eat. I am also having problems w/ constipation--prob a side effect of pain killers. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I had major hip surgery in October and people including my Dr said I healed extremely fast, I attribute that to paleo and my pre op cross fit conditioning. Give your friends and family a paleo list of what you want.

Get well soon!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Sarena,
It has been stated by "cooperators" on the no-nightshade diet that they heal TWICE as fast as those eating nightshades. I recently had a patient of mine confirm this, he has halved every recovery marker.

Also, he has recently (8 weeks post-op, I saw him the other day) started eating non-Paleo and including nightshades again, because he was tired of chewing all the veggies and he was concerned about losing some muscle (he just had his entire knee reconstructed, without the hormonal benefit of heavy leg-based training, this can only be expected). Funny thing, he says that a particular new pain in the area of one of the arthroscopic incisions has arisen, and his pain now is WORSE than it has ever been since the surgery. You can guess what I told him.

For what it's worth. And to those about to ask "What are the nightshades?", do a search of this board and go to www.NoArthritis.com for the book by the expert, Dr. Childers.

A little prune juice or whole prunes can be a Paleo-friendly way of relieving the constipation. Also, by eliminating the nightshades your pain levels (and the corresponding painkiller usage) will likely go down pretty quick.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:28 AM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
I generally avoid nightshades fully and didn't have any since coming from surgery. Am slowly reducing narcotics too. Last nite I only took 1/2 tab. Am also using Vitalzym X and TRMA from Thera-zyme. Started the pruneds and based on a suggestion milk thistle too. Hopefullt fever broke last nite. Am devoid of energy sice developing fever ranging up to 102! Drink lots of H2O and now on an antibiotic (last time may have been 15-20yrs ago). - generally don't use tylenol, let alone Percoset and Cipro!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
You may want to contact me soon about getting a probiotic for after the antibiotic is done--or if you want to get one on your own, just make sure to do it soon after...