CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Jason Elliott

Profile:
Large Guy....suggestions?

Ok so here is the deal ladies and gents. I' really enjoy doing the Crossfit style training, however at a blistering 280lbs I'm pretty slow at just about everything. Specifically running...but looking ahead it can only get better not worse.
As an example. Fran took me 7 minutes...that was however using a weightassist pullup machine since I cant do a full pullup yet.

Anyways, my strength base is pretty good. My lowerbody work is the best.

In your opinion should I continue to do Crossfit in a scaled fashion using the weight, and or resistance I can handle until I build up to the RX'd versions?

Just wondering what everyone else has done if they were a larger individual.

Thanks to all!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
David Miller

Profile:
Re: Large Guy....suggestions?

Jason,
I was about 220lbs. when I first started CF about six months ago. I had an athletic background and had been doing "Men's Health" style workouts for about six years. The route I took was exactly what you're talking about; I just scaled everything and worked my way up to Rx'd workouts. Six months later I'm not yet where I want to be but I'm 197 lbs. with a b.f. of about 11% INTENSITY is the key to success with CF. Scale as much as you need but just bring absolutely everything you have to every workout and you'll see results across the board pretty quickly.

Also note that rest and diet are exponentially important to your fitness goals.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
John Pavlic

Profile:

Scale, and don't let your pride get in the way.

I too am a large guy. I am 6'2" 250 now, but I was 265 when I started Crossfit 2 months ago. I find that I feel like I get more from the workouts if I scale the weights to where I can get the WOD done in at the most 20-30 minutes tops. I try only to scale it enough to make easier, but not easy.

I made the mistake of handling the heavy weights as Rx'd at first and it really slowed me down to the point where it was more of a strength building exercise. I would be so gassed out by the 2 or 3rd round of a WOD that I slowed down too much to get the conditioning/metacon affect.

I took others advice (including Jaons's I think) that I had seen on the boards regarding scaling being a faster path to progress vs. struggling through the full workouts as Rx'd and feel like I am getting more out of the workouts because of it.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
Samuel Friedman

Profile:

agreed...use the brandx scaling for puppy/porch/pack for a while...although psychologically it feels good to do the workouts as rx'd, you'll usually get more out of them if you scale properly
Old 06-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Keep doing CF. You'll improve.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Michael Blazek

Profile:

Like everyone else said do scaled CF

I was 278 when I started on March 27th like you running was really hard. In fact everything was hard. Now I am down to 252. Its taken longer than I would like but at least I'm doing it the right way and not losing 30lbs a week like that stupid biggest loser show - so I wont gain it all back.

Just to give you an idea of my improvement. Michael which has 1.5 miles of running in it took me 31 minutes to complete a month ago when I was 263lbs. Last week I did Michael in 24:27. Huge improvement which is really motivating. So stick with it and soon enough you will see awesome gains in everything!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

A thread on pullups for the bigger guys:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=25414 (safe link)
Old 06-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Neil Khant

Profile:

Keep at it big boy...nothing good comes easy.

Scale, scale, scale...intensity is the key.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
Doug Holland

Profile:

Look at my signature link. If I can do it anyone can do it.

By the way...I am at 292

Doug
Old 06-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Sean Smith

Profile:

Here me out on this it might start off weird....
Being overweight isn't always bad. I have had success from being overweight. I am a swimmer and have been overweight pretty much my entire life. I think I am pretty decent swimmer now. (best event is the 200 back - 1:48.01) My heaviest was 248. Now if you know anything about swimming, then you know that is a monster swimmer. When I raced before this year I weighed 229 at the lightest. This year I lost some weight and raced at 210. From that weight loss coupled with slightly different training (didn't start CF yet), I dropped over 5 seconds in a 200. I think that carrying all of that extra weight my entire life and then losing it, made my strength to weight ratio increase. I still have 20-25 pounds left to lose.
So, in some twisted way, I am saying that being overweight is good for your endurance and strength after you lose it. Right?