CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
took an introductory class today at an academy in the city today. it was awesome (and people there have actually heard of and train using crossfit! that's a first, and i saw kettlebells! hehe!)

anyway, it was a blast, but the quote i was given absolutely shocked me. was just wondering what others pay/what i should expect to be paying. i'm not saying it isn't worth it by any means, just not what i was expecting.

the price i was quoted included pretty much unlimited classes (on the days my level is scheduled), and they actually told me that they would like me to be there at the least two days a week, preferably three.

any advice or info would be apprecaited.

thanks!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
Francisco Menendez

Profile:
It varies depending what area of the country your in, or how upscale it is. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and prices here range from 150 to 200 dollars a month unlimited for black belt instruction. If you go to a brown or purple belt it should be cheaper. I paid about 80 bucks for a purple belt when I was in fresno about 100 miles away from San Francisco. It sucks paying that much but I'm kind of addicted to it so there is not much I can do.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
David Birozy

Profile:
In the Los Angeles area, most places I've looked into go for between $100 to $150 per month, typically for three or more classes a week.

Your best bet is to check around other schools in your area. Don't just look at price though, look at what they offer, the quality of instruction, how people treat each other, their philosophy, etc. There is more than just price involved - you want to make a positive investment in your training and future.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:02 PM   #4
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
It all depends who is teaching, where you are, and how many people are in each class.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:31 AM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Prices vary hugely - here in Los Angeles, you can go to Eddie Bravo for unlimited training for $105 a month. If you go to Jean Jacque Machado, it's around $200/month, and at Rickson's school it's in the $300/month range.

Really depends what you're looking for, but every school has a different environment, so I would test out a few before you decide. ANd in my experience and from stories I've heard from others - I wouldn't trust price as an indicator of quality.

Also, I would recommend going three times a week, as well, if you want to learn at a decent pace.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Quality instruction is worth the money as are good training partners. That being said, you also have to be comfortable and love the place you train.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:23 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Profile:
In DC a place were my friend went it was 155 for access to all facilities any class. but that was with the military discount so i'm guessing it was more like 170 a month.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
Grady McDonald

Profile:
Like everyone said, depending on whose name is on the marquis, your looking at 1-2 bennies/month. It should be unlimited training.
Ideally you can pay like rent (per month)Some places set up 6-12month contracts and you always end up eating your money here and there (injury, out of town, other activities)
Check out all schools, your first roll should be free everywhere you go to see if you like it (facility, gi/no gi, instruction, atmosphere, etc)
Old 08-18-2005, 01:02 PM   #9
Mike McCloud

Profile:
Go to each of the schools and either roll or watch the class, how the teacher and other students interact. I came from a school affliated with one of the Gracie's, the instruction was so-so, at best. Some of the the people training there were just out to stroke their egos. There was only one or two people there that were worth rolling with, one was a cop the other I used to mauy thai box with...I moved and went to a school underneith Caique. The instruction was unbelievable, very technical and the people rolling had no egos, the upper ranking belts were all over 45! I was paying 60 a mnth with a gym membership also. I did 2 to 3 nights a week, then open mat on saturdays.
Watch for cleanliness also, some gyms don't wipe the mats down.
I pefer the gi to no gi
I like greenwhale production dvd's for some good instructionals that are dirt cheep! They have all of the young and upcoming black belts that add great variations to moves.
Have you looked at any Judo schools? I did judo in college and didn't have to pay for anything, if there is a college with a team or club you may want to look into that, you'll get some really good competition + learn how to fall and toss people around. This is one area I found BJJ to be lacking, takedowns and throws.
my 2 pennies and more...

previously masquerading as Rock Strongo and Lance Uppercut
Old 08-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Quality and atmosphere are key. If you really like the place and they are teaching what appears to be good stuff, you should be willing to pay the price.

$200 a month is a bit steap, especially for group classes a couple times a week (I live East of the SanFran. bay). I know schools that charge less for private lessons (that is 1 on 1 instruction, typically once a week, with unlimited group classes, all instructors trained specifically for teaching and certified ).

Another thing to ask about is 'extra fees' some schools charge an arm and a leg for belt tests. Other schools don't charge a dime. I would ask point blank what kind of 'other' costs you can expect. Sometimes $250 a month can be just the tip of the iceberg.

Shop around. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first right? Take a look at some of the other options in your area, try them out, weigh the positives and negatives.