CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-14-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I believe I have shoulder bursitis on my right shoulder (pain when I raise my arm over my head), I will verify next week w/ a doc. As far as rotator cuff exercises, are these enough:

http://www.binghamton.edu/athletics/strength/rota.pdf

Thanks!

(Message edited by frankm007 on October 14, 2006)
Old 10-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
reduce overall body inflammation....as anything with "itis" is a condition of body inflammation.

Also I found that 1 arm DB/KB holds (just hold a weight) overhead helped....but you have to get past the point of pain before doing any exercises like that.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
Jared Buffie

Profile:
Rotator cuff muscles are stabalizers. I would not isolate them. They are not designed to hold loads themselves. In fact, I don't think isolating a joint or muscle under load is ever a good idea.

Just my two cents. Ice your shoulder, give it time - it will heal.

Just curious... how would stronger shoulder muscles help reduce a swollen bursa?

Old 10-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
http://www.bodyresults.com/E2RotatorCuff.asp

shows some simple things to help get back strength and more importantly correct muscle imbalances.
Use a band for this as well...or light DB...it's not supposed to be heavy loads. You can also do some shoulder dislocations with a stick as I will bet that your anterior delts and chest are so tight. Also work on strengthing the rhomboids for they help to retract the scapula and are most likely weak.

Remember the steps:
Step 1 - reduce pain - ice, etc
Step 2 - corrective movements, correct imbalances in muscles, light loads
Step 3 - Regain strength

Holding a DB or heavy KB overhead is going to cause the shoulder instability in a 360deg and 3 planes of movement that will require your shoulder stabilzers and scapula stabilizers to keep the weight centered and from landing on your head. Also holding planks with moving surfaces will help too such as planks with rings, or hands on med balls. Once you get past the pain and more into strength then you can really work the full ROM with ring pushups, or 1 arm KB/DB presses.

Remember that you dont want too heavy a load until you are in phase 3. May be longer than you want it to be...but would you rather risk creating more injury and setting yourself back another 6-8 weeks?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:
Do at least 1 RC exercise per muscle; mainly the supraspinatus, infraspinatus and teres minor. Usually the subscapularis is strong from pressing in most lifters so it doesn't need to be worked that much..

I think Charles Poliquin said that external rotation should be approximately 10-12% of your bench press.

I disagree with your assessment though Jared. Isolating muscles can be useful, especially stabilizing muscles around the shoulder hence why RC exercises even if you're not rehabing is a good idea. For instance, while curls are not a particular great exercise they can be beneficial for building up strength and endurance in your biceps which can be utilized in pullups. Not that I do any curls at all, but it is similar to doing RC exercises to strengthen the shoulder girdle for all horizontal and vertical pressing and pulling.

But yeah, I am curious as well as how RC exercises are going to help bursitis... Lots of ice and rest for that IMO.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Jared Buffie

Profile:
I believe light wieght, full ROM pressing exercises are a better rehab than isolating a muscle that was never intended to be isolated (essentially, no muscle in your body is). Let them develop their stabalization strength naturally, in their intended roles - as stabalizers.

The most progressive rehab clinics in the world have patients doing assisted full ROM squats right after knee surgery. Most are moving away from leg curls, extensions.

As for building strength and enduarance in your bicepcs for pullups, I don't think there's a better way than by doing pullups!