CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-24-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
Gregory Jacobsen

Profile:
Hello all,
I am relatively new to cross-fit (been doing it about 40 days) but love it! I have always had knee pain now and then but never anything too dramatic –just aches and pains. Since following the training regimen and standards outlined in the cross-fit WOD I have never felt fitter – the issue is that during the day my knees ache somewhat and resent being bent at a 90 degree angle for any period of time. I find myself switching positions frequently throughout the day as they start aching. The most comfortable position for me is legs fully extended with no bend in the knee at all. It is just annoying really and when I am doing the workouts I feel strong and have no problems. Prior to cross-fit I had never done squats below the thighs parallel to the ground position because of the old wives tale about how that is bad for your knees.
Is this just a result of my knees adjusting to this new range of stress and motion I am putting them through? Do you think it will ease as progress? Is there any danger in continuing to do the exercises as prescribed? I have been a fitness freak my whole life and am totally hooked on the cross-fit concept –it has changed the way I will look at working out for the rest of my life. I would like to get my father on board but he has always had knee pain and recently switched from running to cycling to help ease this pain. Any info would help.

Thanks much

Jake
Old 06-26-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Jake,

I think it is a result of your new workouts. Traditional Gym Exercises really leave the hamstrings at a disadvantage and they get little if any work. Crossfit Exercises on the other hand, specifically the O-lifts, KB's, and Deep Squats Really kick the Hamstrings into gear. You are also moving frequently through a range that you did not previously move through especially under load, and our bodies get used to a "normal" state of living and when we begin to move outside of that normal our bodies protest. The upside is if we continue to tell our bodies through our activity that the "normal" has changed our bodies are made to adapt and set a new "normal". I would give it another 3-4 weeks and if nothing changes hit it again and maybe somebody can come up with something else going on.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Gregory Jacobsen

Profile:
thanks for the advice --will do