CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-18-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
A internet stunted, fellow CrossFitter (and buddy of mine) reciently injured his shoulder while practicing an advanced grappling takedown.

To sum it up: All of his 160# frame as well as his partners landed on his right shoulder from about 2' off the mat. The angle of force would be approximately 1 O'clock to 1:30 if his head was at 12.

No apparent dislocation right after the trauma, but pain in all directions of movement. It seemed that most funtionality was available, it was just extremely painful. The entire shoulder was hanging lower due to an inability to use the muscles to hold it up. A hospital visit diagnosed it was a bruised joint and a sprained rotator cuff.

I am looking for treatments (the injury is less than a week old), and rehab type movements/exercises to help build the area back up to pass on to him for a speedy recovery.

TIA

A word to the wise: if someone is attempting a full bridging arm drag while applying a figure 4 shoulder lock – you better roll over the opposite shoulder like your life depends on it.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
John Vernon

Profile:
I had a similar injury a couple of years ago playing rugby. ICE MASSAGE first and foremost, I'm sure there are a bunch of PT things he could do. I liked just bringing the injured arm overhead with assistance or walking fingers up a wall at a very close distance until fully extended. Best of luck.