CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Hey all. i've been on crossfit for about 3 weeks. Everything i've been reading suggests participating in a sport outside of crossfit. for my wife that's fine, as she enjoys swimming. i would like to train as a competitive olly lifter. anyone think that is a bad idea condsering the nature of our training here?
Old 03-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Russ Greene

Profile:

Crossfit and olympic lifting go together like chicken breasts and broccoli, err I mean peanut butter and jelly. I think it's a great idea. Swimming goes well with crossfit also, except for the opposite reason. I've found I can get very good swimming workouts in even if I'm very sore from Crossfit workouts because the water environment is so different.

Increasing your strength in the olympic lifts will improve your Crossfit performances very quickly. Swimming will improve your endurance in crossfit workouts but won't give you the ground-based power that o-lifting does.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #3
Martin Schap

Profile:
I think oly lifts sound like an awesome thing to work on. That being said, I don't think you can really go wrong. If you find one thing you like and stick with it you're sure to improve in that area. Also, Crossfit advises that one constantly learn and play new sports, so don't be afraid to branch out, especially on those active rest days. Go hiking or boating, hit a climbing wall, join a rec. soccer, basketball, etc. game.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Dodgeball. There's a dodgeball league in Tucson (several, I believe) that I want to play in. My issue now is finding 10 people to make a team...

OL sounds fun too, if only for one or two meets...
Old 03-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Gymnastics, do gymnastics. Must do gymnastics. Oh, and there's gymnastics :-).

Seriously though rock climbing, find a rec ball league of some kind, waterskiing, downhill skiing, whatever. As you become more "CrossFit" you'll find the additional sports easier and more fun.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Don Stevenson

Profile:
O lifting gets a vote from me too.

I took up O lifting about 3 months ago and i'm loving it. I still do 2-3 WODs a week and i've found my power and strength are starting to improve.

I'd also vote for gymnsatics and plan on doing a few sessions with a local coach just for variety although i don't hold out much hope of ever doing things like planches due to the amount of mass in my legs my poor little upper body would have to support!