CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
Michael Blazek

Profile:
Re: Large Guy....suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Smith View Post
Here me out on this it might start off weird....
Being overweight isn't always bad. I have had success from being overweight. I am a swimmer and have been overweight pretty much my entire life. I think I am pretty decent swimmer now. (best event is the 200 back - 1:48.01) My heaviest was 248. Now if you know anything about swimming, then you know that is a monster swimmer. When I raced before this year I weighed 229 at the lightest. This year I lost some weight and raced at 210. From that weight loss coupled with slightly different training (didn't start CF yet), I dropped over 5 seconds in a 200. I think that carrying all of that extra weight my entire life and then losing it, made my strength to weight ratio increase. I still have 20-25 pounds left to lose.
So, in some twisted way, I am saying that being overweight is good for your endurance and strength after you lose it. Right?
In a strange way I guess I can agree with this. My 30lb weight loss and gains in strength would support it. But then again my gains and weight loss are due to 3 months of crossfit and 2 months of zone!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:07 AM   #12
Colin McNulty

Profile:

I agree with pretty much everything said already, scaled WOD's are the way to go.

Further, my advice is to forget your weight. If you want to measure anything measure percentage body fat, or just measure your waist at the widest point. I lost half my body fat in a year, but that wasn't reflected properly in the scales. Roughly, for every 2 lbs of fat I lost, I gained 1 lb of muscle.

Also measure your ability progress. Pick 5 named workouts say and do them all and record your time. Then in 2-3 months say do them again, you'll be astonished at the difference.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #13
Thomas L Smith

Profile:

I'm also a "large" guy started beginners w/o http://www.crossfit.com/journal/2006..._03_cfj_1.html 2 weeks ago I was not able to finish the warm up the first day I was 308lbs after two weeks and the zone I can say I'm 298lbs and feeling more motivated every day.I didn't jump into scaled w/o because I was so detrained I didn't want to hurt myself also need time to get my garage ready "my gym sucks" they yelled at me yesterday for doing jumping pull ups .Also I mix up the warm up to learn things I don"t know like jump rope and box jumps rowing etc.Good luck and drink that kool aid
Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #14
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L Smith View Post
they yelled at me yesterday for doing jumping pull ups
They did what?!? Just ignore them Thomas. Almost every single person (including me) who I've seen start Crossfit down my local gym, have started with jumping pull ups. Some take a few weeks to get kipping pull ups, some a few months and some over a year. But everyone gets better and everyone starts with jumping pull ups.

BTW when I first started, I couldn't do the warm up either. It took me a month of working on the warm up at home before I plucked up the courage to go down the local Crossfit affiliate gym. I started with:

2 rounds of:
10 Samson Stretches (a lunge with arms overhead, interlocked fingers, palms up)
10 push ups
10 sit ups
10 squats
10 super men (lay face down on the floor, arms and legs stretched out, then lift arms and legs so only your belly is touching the floor)

First time took over 20 minutes to do just 2 rounds of that.

At the end of 1 month, I was doing 3 rounds of 15 reps each of the above.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:56 AM   #15
Jeff Bixby

Profile:

Add me to the list of the "Large Guy" club. I am just getting ready to start Crossfit after reading about it in the recent issue of Navy Times and feel it is exactly what I need.

Retired from the Navy 13 years ago and had gained way too much weight since. Starting at 280 lbs and looking to not only lose weight, but to increase my overall fitness. I'm a volunteer firefighter and those who are firefighters know the physical toll of being on the knob or doing truckie work. Doesn't matter if you're career or volunteer - the physical exertion is the same.

Exploring the exercise videos now, cleaning out the garage to make my own gym (with the wife's blessing) and looking forward to starting very soon. Scale and learning the movements shall be my mantra in the beginning!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:40 AM   #16
Thomas L Smith

Profile:

It made me angry I went to the globo gym manager and listed my complaints ie were not allowed to use boxes because we might hurt ourselves or medicine balls "dumb" of course I wasted me breath. It just makes me more motivated to eguip my garage.I bought an olympic bar and pull up bar yesterday luckily dont need any plates yet lol.The only good thing is they have a concept 2 rower which will take me a while to get.I believe the zone is huge at the beginning since I have felt full of energy since I started it

Last edited by Thomas L Smith; 06-20-2008 at 04:45 AM..
Old 06-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
Trampas Hutches

Profile:

Member of the Large Guy Club here. 6'6" 270 33%BF when I started Feb 08. Now 255 25% BF! Love CF. I remember when the WU about kille dme then I had to do a little fitness test for my CF "drill sarge" I just about visited the trash can. Now just last week I did Fight Gone Bad as rx'd and scored 393. My lower back pain is way better and my posture has improved tons. Not to mention my overall fitness has improved drastically...wish I had this during my football years!!!