CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Michael Houghton

Profile:
Next evolution for CrossFit

Weight categories...Discuss.

At least a Clydesdale division like in Triathlons and runs, for us bigger guys. Of course that will never stop me from trying to qualify for the actual CrossFit Games, but it might be fun to see some big guys out there.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: Next evolution for CrossFit

meh. I kind of like how it's open right now, and little guys are forced to get crazy strong while big guys have to suck it up and run fast anyway.

The games has competitive men ranging in weight from about 145 to what... 210? Honestly, I don't see how anyone outside those sizes could claim to be an elite generalist. Sports with weight classes are very specialized and it's literally impossible for people with even a 20-lb weight difference to compete fairly against one another, in CF neither of these is the case.

For local/fun CF competitions it's a good idea because it's more inclusive and more people will want to be involved, but for the games where's there's cash and sponsorships on the line, keep it the way it is. If you're a clydesdale or an elf... pick a different sport!

I mean really... maybe we should start an under-6-foot-tall basketball league while we're at it? I'm sure Nike is going to sponsor the frontrunner of THAT league
Old 08-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Michael Houghton

Profile:

Just for arguments sake, why the masters categories then? Did you disagree with that? It was on a smaller scale, which the heavier classes could be too.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Scott Walters

Profile:

Ummmmmm, there did used to be an under six foot basketball league (just saying)
Old 08-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Houghton View Post
Just for arguments sake, why the masters categories then? Did you disagree with that? It was on a smaller scale, which the heavier classes could be too.
That's a fair enough argument. And no, I didn't disagree with it.

first, you can't expect a 50 or 60 year old to compete in the games directly against a 20 or 30 year old... see my "literally impossible" comment above.

second, like you said it's much smaller scale. I'll admit I didn't even look at the masters results, and I'm not alone. Would it be worth it to HQ (cost/marketing perspective)? Masters probably is because it allows a lot of "experienced" people to play (read: coaches, former firebreathers, mentors, affiliate owners, parents of newcomers, ect)... people in that demographic have a lot of money, bring a lot to the table in terms of knowledge, and are willing to do a lot of behind-the-scenes work. Similar argument for the teams division. Would weight classes bring those benefits?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Jared Ashley

Profile:

As for under 6-foot basketball... I did not know that. And that just proves the point!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Weight classes....

Wont happen. It would competely change the sport....not for the better IMO.
Much of the beauty of it is seeing all the different people complete the tasks and a guy like Speal crush it when there seems to be no way he should hang in.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Bryan Arciero

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
Much of the beauty of it is seeing all the different people complete the tasks and a guy like Speal crush it when there seems to be no way he should hang in.
Some of the best moments in sports are seeing the "little guys" make fools of the "big guys". Maybe it's the nerd in me, or the cheering for the under-dog, but adding weight classes takes away the potential for the David v Goliath moment.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
first, you can't expect a 50 or 60 year old to compete in the games directly against a 20 or 30 year old... see my "literally impossible" comment above.
I actually expect to see younger Masters categories in the future (most sports start at 35). I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there were only two male athletes over the age of 26 in the top 10 this year and nobody older than 29. The women aren't far behind; they're still just a little behind the curve in terms of overall participation. As the talent pool gets larger, I'm sure you'll see the same trend.

As for the weight classes, while I can understand the "purists" argument against it of forcing the smaller guys to get stronger and the bigger guys to get faster, I think that weight classes could possibly be good for CrossFit in terms of it's expansion as a spectator sport. Watching little guys struggle with heavy weights and big guys labor through longer runs isn't very entertaining. If you break up the field into weight classes, then you get to see the smaller guys flying through gymnastic stuff that the bigger guys can't do and the bigger guys throwing around weight that the smaller guys couldn't move. You also open up the competition to a broader range of athletes. The reality is that elite CrossFiters are already starting to self classify in terms of weight. There is obviously some variance, but the vast majority of the guys who've made it to the Games the past two years have been in the 175-185 range.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods : 08-14-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
Michael Houghton

Profile:

I just think that it would be interesting to watch the big guys do things they normally shouldn't be able to do. Speal throwing big weight around is impressive. A big guy like Welbourn doing muscle ups? That's got to be cool to watch too. It would be an interesting experiment to say the least. Adding weight classes adds to the accessibility of the sport as well. The more the better I say. If someone sees a large (or small) person doing things that are out of the ordinary, they may be more willing to try it themselves. I wouldn't even say that they would have to change the events at all. I like the idea that they can pull more weight (sometimes) but still have to do the bodyweight stuff like pull ups and burpees and things like that.