CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-21-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
Don Stevenson

Profile:
A big theme of mine this year is working on my weaknesses and this is perhaps my biggest.

While i'm quite happy to push myself hard during WODs and do extra rowing or HSPU practice my diet has been a disaster. Far too much of a carb addict and too much chocolate (step 1, admit your problem!)

Anyway I've agreed with my girlfriend that we both need to tidy up our diets as we are training harder than ever and so we've made the commitment to do the Zone properly.

I've bought some new scales and figured out some zone snacks and main meals and as soon as i can get my Zone book back from my Mum (who is raving about the zone already) i'll do the full calculations of blocks etc.

Wish me luck! I've got to make it through the rest of the week without a coke or chocolate now and i can feel the cravings coming.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Don, it gets easier over time. Take a day to cook your protein sources for the week...everything is built off of protein and it is the hardest to cook quickly. I cook protein on Sunday and weigh and bag it. I have bags of 5 block chicken and beef in my refridge. Also get macadamia nuts (1 nut = 1 block of fat). Keep the nuts in your car. When faced with having to eat "fast food" go the the grocery store and buy your block RX of meat at the deli counter (say 5 oz of turkey), get a salad, and a couple pieces of fruit; have your 5 maca nuts and your there! At first set your watch to beep every 4 hours, so you eat on time. Good luck, this is hard work, oh...3 cheat meals a week = approximately a 90% compliance rate, 90% ain't bad!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
Carrie Beauchamp

Profile:  
Hey Don,

I am new to CrossFit and the Zone and this is what I have discovered about sugar/carbohydrate cravings.

I had to change my thought process.

Before you grab that coke think to yourself. "How is this coke going to help me meet my goals?" (My goal is to lose weight and eat foods that benefit my body the most. A coke has no nutritional value and is just a can of empty calories that are going to go straight to fat storage.)

It's all psychological. When I first gave up sugar I thought about it alot but I changed my thought to "it does nothing for me but elevate my insulin levels and ultimately makes me feel sick."

You will find that when you actually eat in the zone that you feel fresh mentally and physically. This state feels so good that when you come out of the zone you can notice the difference and all you want to do is get back in the zone. (At least that is how I feel.)