CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-16-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Have you guys ever used a normal "chest bench" to do back extensions? Is there any way to anchor my legs on those?
Old 04-16-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Yeah if you lie along the bench, but it's awkward and you'll probably dislocate your legs. Alternatively hips across the bench and feet anchored under something else works.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Alex...I kinda get in a jam once in awhile too, as I'll be traveling and not every gym has a back extension apparatus.

One thing I've found that works pretty well is a lat pulldown machine. If you find the right kind, it'll have 2 rollers that you typically anchor your legs/knees under (when doing pulldowns). But if you stand between those rollers and the weight stack (back to the stack) you'll often find that you can anchor your heels under the frame of the pulldown machine, then lean forward until your thighs are on top of the rollers...then just bend forward at the waist and you can do your back extensions.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Actually this is in my gym-I never did manage to find a nice glute-ham developer...

What I did is lie on the bench and support myself while doing the extensions by wrapping my legs around and pressing upwards with my heels.

Coach may not have intended to work the abductors and adductors so much with this WOD by it was a nice substitute, plus more functional IMO.

Equipment limitations sometimes may serve in helping us use our ingenuity if ever a real-world physical challenge requires us to. Not mucingenuity was needed for this one, but still, I now know I can wrap myself around a bench, or whatever its real-life equivalent would be, and lean over to pick something up.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Just FYI Alex...in addition to my many traveling adventures in faraway gyms, I've come to appreciate the utility of a good playground. There are a million things you can do with a jumgle gym, etc.

The only problem I've run into is trying not to scare the parents when I'm working out alongside Dick and Jane.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
HAHAHA! SOme business trips frequently take me to Milan, where there's a nice park I usually go workout/run in.

There seems to always be a Carabinieri squad that passes by and watches in horror as I kip off of tree braches, or do HSPUs against the tree trunks!

Asking my coworkers there of were I can find a nice little playground can get iffy...So I usually take it slow and start by asking if there any parks, and go around the question of it there is a playground inside by asking on all sorts of stuff one could find in a park.

That way, I'm still an image-conscious cardio-freak in their eyes, who just wants some nice visuals for his morning run!:biggrin:
Old 04-16-2005, 12:37 PM   #7
Graham Hayes

Profile:
What I did is lie on the bench and support myself while doing the extensions by wrapping my legs around and pressing upwards with my heels.

Yeah that's the crazy technique I've used before...once.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #8
Brad Williams

Profile:

I slid a flat bench into a smith machine and used the bar(weighted)to hold my legs the other day. Worked pretty well. It also works ok for glute/ham sit ups. Not sure if that helps in your particular situation though.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:42 AM   #9
Brian Hand

Profile:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/9398.jpg
Old 04-17-2005, 07:59 AM   #10
Dan Silver

Profile:

I stack a bunch of towels on the bench, tape 'em down, and then put the bench at a distance to the wall that allows my feet to go straight back and contact it. Then I do the reps. My feet eventually loose contact with the wall, causing me to re-adjust but, boy, does it ever suck trying to eek out reps when you are loosing your stabilizers. An added bonus of this technique is that you can't swing, usually, lest you hit your head on the ground.

-D.