CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-12-2006, 03:07 AM   #1
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

[Put this in the MA forum as I don't think it is a standard crossfit injury.]

Jammed my thumb in sparring last night, didn't have access to any ice at the time and when I got home I just crashed.

This morning it is slightly swollen and tender, its an irritation more than anything - anyone recommend any magic treatments?

Cheers

S
Old 04-12-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
joseph elberti

Profile:

Wait for the swelling to go down first (if its takeing a real long time, you may need an x-ray), then do a distraction adjustment at the base of the thumb (metacarpo-phalangeal joint)

(you know- how people can crack their fingers by giving a quick pull-yank- grab a good hold of the thumb, and pull straight out in a quick jerking motion)

That has worked for me in the past.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
Ted Williams

Profile:
Before you start doing any self adjustments, why not ice the hell out of the thing, take some advil for the swelling (depending on how bad it is) and head to the Dr.? Thumbs are important, might be worth it to make sure its not worse off...I'd be hesitant to yank on anything (I'm going to regret this :lol:) without first getting it checked out...
Old 04-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
I would not try the pulling technique. If there is a broken bone you can do tendon damage. Bones heal fast, tendons do not, and may need surgery to repair. Tendons have very little blood supply. Any time you get an injury, apply pressure for 20 min. Then ice for 20 min. preferably while you elevate the injury. use sports tape to continue the compression or an ace bandage. Watch to make sure you don’t cut off circulation for long periods. Internal injuries are the same as injuries that have broken the skin. The internal bleeding forms a hematoma causing additional damage to tissues. Fortunately this triggers an inflammatory response that works to stop the internal bleeding. The above technique does the same thing, but you can reduce the injury by half, and be back in the game faster!

Ice technique for latter (I got this one from my Dr.) . Use hot compress for 30 seconds, then ice for 30 seconds. Repeat for five minutes. Do this a min. of three times a day. For hand and foot injuries, buckets of hot and ice water work great. Why it works, the how water causes the capillaries to relax and then the ace restricts the capillaries causing a flushing of debris from the tissues. It’s fast, and it works great.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

Hi,

thanks for the replies - my thumb is just a little swollen.

I was asking because I am interested in learning to manage my injuries and protect myself if it happens again.

bobbi,

thanks for the advice for hands & feet - hope I never need it

S
Old 04-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Injuries...
Old 04-18-2006, 09:20 PM   #7
Will Nuse

Profile:
I knew a guy in high school who thought he jammed his thumb in a football game--kept tugging on that thing like he wanted to pull it off trying to get it to pop and feel better. Turns out he fractured it, not horribly, but it's still crooked since he wouldn't let them rebreak it and set it correctly.

Two mini-stories of my own. I jammed my thumb when a wicked hard basketball pass hit me on-axis to my thumb (tried to stick my thumb into the ball), and I still don't have full flexion in that joint--never had it x-rayed, don't think it was fractured, just scarred up or something. Second, I dislocated the PIP (middle) joint of my pinky finger trying to catch a wicked fast football pass (I don't like catching things, apparently) and did exactly the same thing with my pinky I did with the thumb, except my knuckle bent the wrong way big time. I pulled it free, let it sit for a day (I'm an idiot) and then went to the hospital, where they proceeded to freak out a little. I still don't have full flexion in that knuckle either because I didn't know that I needed to go see an occupational terrorist--I mean, therapist. These guys might hurt you plenty, but you'll be glad later that they did.

My point is to do what you can with what you've got, and that includes going to the doc and seeing what you can save of what you've got. Hope this helps.

(Message edited by othromas on April 18, 2006)