CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-27-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Ok,

As is usually the case with me and things I like, I usually go full steam and use/abuse them to death.

Case in point, salads and veggies. I've been having that same awesome tuna/arugula/spinach/iceberg/cherry tomatoes/olive oil/balsamic vinegar/seasalt/and lots of pepper-salad, as lunch, everyday for about two years now. (Except weekends). I still love it and doubt I'll ever let it go.

Here's the problem though...In order to get adequate carbs, it'll usually be a pretty big salad, and having that everyday means one definately limiting thing: TOO MUCH FIBER. I think I'd be ok if my dinner didn't contain yet more fibrous stuff, but it's really a one way street for me. I'll usually have okra, string beans, spinach or have some vegetables grilled (like eggplant, peppers, mushrooms etc.). It's better with the grilled veggies but the problems are still there.

I am constantly in a state of semi-constipation, have a lot of gas and generally know my intenstine is working overtime. That may be great for my metabolism and blood sugar levels, but it's gotten to a point where it's uncomfortable.

Any advice? (Short of switching back to grains of course).

-Alexander
Old 07-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Semi-constipated from too much fiber? Shouldn't you be like a faucet from too much fiber? I never have any *ahem* problems in that area from my huge salads and veggie laden dinners.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Lots of fiber+Lots of water+a tendency toward costiveness = "Semi-constipated".

Semi,in that I regularly go to the bathroom (daily) but I'm still not relieved and have the gas problems all day long (I can really feel and "hear" my intenstines working at some point in the day like after my lunch salad)...

What's really weird is that anytime I've had fiber in another form, like through grains (made porridge the other day), it is even more easy for me to relieve myself and don't have as much problems during the day...

I just hope that this constant use of leafy, green and all sorts of veggies, hasn't somehow agitated my intestines. I mean, after all, if we were meant to eat this stuff, my peptic system should be able to handle it pretty easily no?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:22 AM   #4
Troy Archie

Profile:
Do you eat any dairy at all? I ask because your symptoms sound a lot like lactose intolerance...

Perhaps a fiber supplement would be a choice for you? I've also read that olive oil is great for "loosening things up".
Old 08-01-2005, 06:17 AM   #5
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I used to have the same symptoms back when I ate vegetables all day, and for me it was not related to dairy. I kept at it for a while, thinking I would adjust, but eventually started eating vegetables only at lunch and a little at dinner. Lunch is a salad with all kinds of veggies, and dinner is meat with some frozen veggies. My other meals get carbs from fruit and even a little whole grains (it's good for you!). I'm not doing a perfect zone, but whatever, the livability makes up for it.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Try prunes.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #7
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Thanks for the responses guys.

Diary is a on/off thing for me. If I eat out, and there's some cheese on a really good slada, I'll eat it...You got me thinking though...

Is there any definitive way of testing for lactose intolerance?