CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-17-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
Mark Wilson

Profile:  
Does anyone else have this problem? I just ran a few flights of stairs and I had all this phlegm in the back of my throat (sorry, gross i know). when i ride my bike or play soccer i always have a runny nose. even when i'm not exercising i never have a clear nasal passage, it's always stuffed up a bit. I don't smoke, I don't even go anywhere where there is smoke. does anyone else have this problem? please help!
Old 10-18-2003, 08:31 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Mark,

What's your diet like? If you haven't already done so and are so inclined, try a paleo-type diet for a few weeks and see if this helps. Although I don't have exactly the same problem as you, I do have seasonal allergies. Since eating paleo, I've noticed both the duration and severity of the symptoms have noticeably been reduced.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 10-18-2003, 10:10 AM   #3
Mark Wilson

Profile:  
Hi Ryan,

I'm not on a Paleo diet yet. I'm in the middle of reading the book but I think I'm gonna go for it. It makes sense to me.

One question, what do you normaly eat for breakfast? Eating meat for breakfast doesn't sound too appealing to me!
Old 10-19-2003, 06:09 AM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Mark,

Usually in the mornings I will consume a pre and post workout shake (protein powder, cream, ice and some water). About 60-90 minutes after the post workout shake I'll have breakfast. This consists of some protein source (lately about 5 hard-boiled eggs), some leafy greens and a handfull of almonds or pecans. About an hour or so after that I'll have a serving of mixed berries (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc.) with another handfull of nuts.

As you can see, if I stick with the eggs for breakfast (which I don't always do - I'll often substitute steak or chicken), I could sometimes not eat meat until around noon. It should be noted that because of the whey in the protein powder and the cream, that I'm not following a very strict version of a paleo diet. However, I don't seem to suffer any ill effects from the dairy. If you don't have problems with the dairy, cottage cheese might be another option to meat as well.

Hope this helps,

Ryan