CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:
Can't complete the WOD

I feel like such a slug.

I've been lifting, running, biking, and swimming for 20 years. Then last week a friend that I hadn't seen in a while introduced me to crossfit.......and now I'm seeing the error of my ways, and exactly how out of shape I am.

I can't complete the full warm-up, but my pull-ups are improving. (Was able to do 10 straight today on the first go-round).

Usually on the WOD, I can't use the recommended weight, (which is a new thing for me because I've always been the big strong lug). I am usually terribly slow,(also a new thing for me). And sometimes can't complete the full exercise.

At the end of the session, I'm soaked and shaking.....thought I might puke this AM.

My question is this:

I know that sooner or later I'll be able to keep up.

How long does that usually take?

(my son wanted this smiley added)
Old 05-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Rob Forgione

Profile:
Re: Can't complete the WOD

i think it has alot to do with the kind of shape you were in before you started. it sound like you've been pretty active for a long time and that's going to give you a huge step up over the guy that's hitting the gym for the first time. the advice i was given when i was in your situation was to do the scaled workouts provided by brand-x (there's a link on the main page) until you feel like you're acing those, and then go Rx'd once you feel like you can consistently complete the rx'd workouts.

sorry i couldn't give you a set timeframe, perhaps someone who has been around the program longer could give you an accurate estimate.

edit: for the record, i've been consistently at it for 3+ months now (though admittedly not as disciplined with nutrition etc. as i should be) and i'm still working on the scaled workouts, although i'm coming off about a year and a half of a beer+pizza college lifestyle.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

There's really no way to predict how long it will take you...however, someone who comes into CF with an Oly or powerlifting background would obviously have an advantage on the strength side of things that would make it easier to do thrusters, deadlifts, cleans, etc. for reps. Unfortunately traditional cardio endurance doesn't translate over into CF metcon capacity. The only way to get better at CF WODs is to do CF WODs.

Be willing to set your ego aside and scale the weights down at first til you get your technique solid--having shaky form on the basic movements will put a lower ceiling on your potential and will make you more injury-prone once you start dealing with heavier weights. Hit the WODs hard, eat right, get plenty of sleep, and you'll see gains.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:05 AM   #4
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

Eric and Rob, thanx for the advice.

Trust me the ego has been set aside, in fact it's crushed and whimpering in a corner everytime I go to the gym these days.

So yeah, I lower the weights and will continue. I am seeing progress, it's just a bit slow.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:47 AM   #5
Christin Street

Profile:

Everett- You couldn't possibly be a slug. Slugs don't even entertain the thought of doing CrossFit. Slugs eat donuts for breakfast and drink beer on the couch watching ESPN all day on Saturday. Also if you felt crushed after yesterday's main page WOD ("Hansen")) then you weren't alone. I haven't done it yet but I'm told it's a killer. Very long metcon. Hang in there!
Old 05-03-2009, 03:59 AM   #6
Eddie Watts

Profile:

i can only give you my experience
started sept 08 with zero pull ups
last week did angie 100 pull ups. took too long but i finished it.
also scale, especially the warm up.
it is to get you ready for the wod, not to kill yourself in!!
(i made this mistake also btw)
Old 05-03-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
Graeme Marshall

Profile:

scale a little more, till you can complete the warm up and WOD completely, then follow the direction on scaling to rx'd. Don't get dejected, i sometimes get my abilities and ambitions of being a 'Fire Breather' mixed up some times....
Old 05-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
Departed

Profile:  

Everyone is different. Like others have said, a lot depends on your fitness background. How's your diet? How much sleep are you getting? These things are going to affect your gains with regards to getting to a RX'd level on every WOD.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Departed

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin Street View Post
Also if you felt crushed after yesterday's main page WOD ("Hansen")) then you weren't alone. I haven't done it yet but I'm told it's a killer. Very long metcon. Hang in there!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

I was lucky, I started with a few CF routines from Mens Journal a few years ago, so I had no idea who "pathetic" I was. Once I found the mainpage and WOD, I was already hooked.
When I started, I struggled to get through Fran in 10 minutes using just the 45lb bar. It took at least a year or more before I could do it as RX'ed which I considered a huge accomplishment.
Remember, "compare and despair", there will always be fire-breathers that you can't compete with. So compete with yourself. Beat your own records, and you will with just about every workout at first.
When scaling your workouts at first, it is better to use weights that are "too low" and storm through a routine, rather than use weights that are too heavy. If they are too heavy, you'll be slow and lose metcon benefits, as well as increase your risk of injury.
Read posts, subscribe to the journal, seek coaching for complex movements and be thrilled you have found CF!