CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Brian Wilson

Profile:
Website help please

So submitted my affiliation application today and waiting to see what happens. But in the meantime tried to get ahead of the power curve WRT website stuff. But might have made it worse for myself, not better.

I registered a domain name at GoDaddy.com that I wanted to just
have shoot to a blogger page where I already have a basic outline of my crossfit affiliate web page. I knew blogger could do this, but I thought I had to register through GoDaddy. So I registered with GoDaddy, then went to my blog and did the publishing option and saw that you can buy a domain through Google. So I went back to GoDaddy.com and canceled my registration, but after it was canceled the guy said it could take 30-90 DAYS!! for that domain to become available again.

I want to buy it through Google, but how can I speed up the process?
Can I contact someone at Google? At GoDaddy? I put a discussion thread in the Google Apps page so hopefully someone at Google will see that and help me out. I figured GoDaddy wouldn't be too excited b/c I already paid them for a service, then canceled, got a refund, now I want them to help me help their competitor.

So just checking if anybody has any experience with how long it takes for a website to become available after it's de-listed. Or has an alternative suggestion. Getting a .net address is doable for the affiliate name, but I kind of wanted .com to make it simpler. Is that or something similar the only workaround? Any way to speed up the de-listing?

Thx,
Brian
Old 03-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Craig Massey

Profile:
Re: Website help please

Hmm, de-registering and re-registering is a new one on me. You could have transferred hosting and "ownership" of the domain to Google easily, I do this all the time here at work, I have the grey hair to prove it (NZ registrars are painful to deal with)
I'm not being helpful I know, sorry.

I would try and work with Google to "buy" the domain or "transfer" hosting to Google. Google are very switched on people and will know how to achieve what you're after.
It really doesn't matter who you buy the domain through, most registrars are as good or as bad as each other. Hosting companies differ greatly.

However both registrar and hoster can be changed after the fact.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Kristin Hoppe

Profile:

It's to prevent sniping of domain names. ICANN mandates a 30 day grace period after the expiration of a domain name registration so the original owner can reclaim it.

If it were me I'd see if GoDaddy will undo the undoing of domain registration and then transfer hosting to wherever you want to. If you don't want to register through GoDaddy then just use whomever you want to re-up next year.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin Hoppe View Post
It's to prevent sniping of domain names. ICANN mandates a 30 day grace period after the expiration of a domain name registration so the original owner can reclaim it.

If it were me I'd see if GoDaddy will undo the undoing of domain registration and then transfer hosting to wherever you want to. If you don't want to register through GoDaddy then just use whomever you want to re-up next year.
Expiration and the stand-down period I'd dealt with, relinquishing and then un-relinquishing I hadn't.
Good point Kristin. If the stand-down period applies to relinquished domains too, as the original owner you should be able to pick it up again.

What Kristin said.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Called GoDaddy and they were able to get it back up and running.

Now I'm working through Google Apps to try to get the webpage up and running. Does anybody know if I can use Google Apps to do this if I just own the domain name or do I need to setup a hosting service as well?

I want the site to just redirect to my blogger page anyway, don't know if that changes anything.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Andrey Kovalenko

Profile:

As far as i understand, and i do web design, domains stuff for last 14 years you have two options.

1) You can get a redirect for your domain from GoDaddy to particular page which would be your Blogger page.

2) Or you can change nameservers records for the domain to point to the Blogger site if it's allowed by Google and they provide this kind of setup for individual Blogger accounts.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
Ron Holland

Profile:

I use godaddy a lot. Easiest - Just forward your godaddy domain to the blogger. It's pretty easy to do. Go to manage domains" and hit "forward to" and then put in the blogger url.

Should work. Congrats and good luck!
Old 03-24-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Fellas, I fixed it - and by fixed it I mean I got somebody else to do it b/c I was dying. Thanks to Zeke at CrossFit Coastal. I'm up at www.potomaccrossfit.com.