CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Pat Crowley

Profile:
Question for the experienced CF'ers :)

Greetings All.

I am relatively new here and let me preface this by saying I love the workouts of the day from Crossfit.

But let also buttress that by saying I am a powerlifter and have a dire need of truly increasing my strength goals before athletic goals, not to say i dont want both for my buck.

I will currently be running a program written by Chad Waterbury that can be found at this link. I will be focusing on CGBP, Power Cleans, Push Press, Deadlifts, front squats and Chinups

My question that i propose is this. I would like to add 1-2 days of crossfit a week, sort of as a GPP, but with the plethora of options i dont know which ones would work well with ym lifting schedule, as i will be lifting m,w,f. Id like to add in a tuesday CF workout to start, and maybe add another in 3 weeks.

I was thinking of adding the

800m Run
50 back ext's(sub bar GM's)(active recovery for lower back)
50 situps

3 rounds for time.

Would that be a good fit, as here is how the days would be broken down

M
CGBP
Power Cleans

t
CF WOD(unless its weight specific)

W
Chin up
Front Squat

F
Deadlift
Push Press

Last edited by Lynne Pitts; 09-28-2007 at 09:25 PM..
Old 09-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Charles Krug

Profile:
Re: Question for the experienced CF'ers :)

Look up "Blackbox ME," the standard way of blending METCONS and Strength work around here.

What you wind up doing in a BB-ME series is something like:

Monday — Strength
Tuesday — METCON WOD
Wednesday — Strength
Thursday — METCON WOD
Friday — Strength
Saturday/Sunday Rest.

Whether you do 5/2 or 3/1 (as the WODS are written) choose a schedule that you can stick to.

For METCON, choose whatever "Rounds for Time" or AMRAP WOD happened previously. Skip "Crossfit Total" and "3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3 post loads" sort of workouts–you're replacing those with your Black Box.

An important part of Crossfit is the continuing variety. After 6-8 weeks, you want to change up your routine. Either stop blackboxing and follow the WODs as they come up, or change up what you have in the Black Box.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

What is your 1rm squat, bench, and deadlift? What is your height and bodyweight? I'm going to infer from aspects of your post that you are not an advanced powerlifter. If this is indeed the case then why design your own program? Until you develop the experience why not Just follow the program you linked or CrossFit or one of the CrossFit Black Box variants out there? I think many people incorrectly assume that CrossFit does not build strength. The problem with CrossFit and strength is that the WoD as posted is for elite athletes. Myself and other mortals may need more consistency with the strength movements to develop the skill to become better. If I was incorrect in my assumptions I apologize and think that your idea of adding a single CF day may be a good idea but you will have to judge if you can successfully do both programs and make satisfactory progress and enjoy it.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
Pat Crowley

Profile:

1RM

bench:225
squat: 325
deadlift: 415
Push Press: 170

Oh no, dont get me wrong, i never assumed Crossfit wouldnt build strength at all, quite the contrary, and as you said, i wanted a more fcused program.

I definitely am going to follow the routine i linked but also want to incorporate CF into my week, as doing ti for two weeks made me feel revitalized.

I never meant to seem like i was downplaying Crossfit, because the workouts destroyed me

I was merely asking that if i chose to incorporate days of MetCon, which ones would be beneficial so as not to take away from my strength aspirations. I love the benefits of using crossfit as well as my strength goals.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I never meant in any way to downgrade CF, i have the utmost respect for it.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Charles Krug

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Crowley View Post
1RM

I was merely asking that if i chose to incorporate days of MetCon, which ones would be beneficial so as not to take away from my strength aspirations. I love the benefits of using crossfit as well as my strength goals.
Any METCON is good. Look for words like "Post Times", "AMRAP", "For Time", which indicate METCON workouts.

The only caution is to make sure you don't have something like SDLP/Thrusters after a heavy squat workout. Be smart! You can find a suitable sub on the Archive page or by looking back a few days for another METCON you might have missed.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Sorry if I came off poorly. I would genuinely like to help you if I can. Text does not convey emotion well and my writing can come off rather flatly. I would try to stay to the calisthenics WoDs as you are adding it to your lifting schedule. So workouts with some mix of pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, squats, running, rowing, jump roping, etc would likely complement your routine nicely.