CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
Mark Roughton

Profile:
http://www.discover.com/web-exclusives/weightlifting/

Seems to me the real risk factor here is having an undiagnosed pre-existing medical condition. I think the take-home lesson is, "Get a physical."

I have to admit chuckling at the definition of "heavy" in this article as "more than half your body weight." Uh, Linda?
Old 07-22-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Prior to starting CF I had my every 5 year (whether I need it or not) complete physical with loads of probably unnecessary tests thrown in just because! The most important one was the stess thallium (a stress echocardiogram is almost as good). Mark is right; that disclaimer on all of the gym memberships is a word to the wise. Gotta know if there are any time bombs in there!

Old 07-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Any kind of exercise (or amphetamine use, or a bunch of exercise stuff) increases your chance of heart attack during that period of time.