CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I've had this for mmmmooonnttths, it is very annoying. One of my nostrils is always stuffy and the other partially stuffy (gets worse when I lay down). Not sure if this is a allergic reaction to (what!? and how can it be for so many months?) or if it's something else... this makes my lips and mouth dry really bad since i end up breathing through my mouth all day :-( This can't be good. suggestions? ideas

(Message edited by frankm007 on May 16, 2006)
Old 05-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
If you want to ge relief w/o surgery, you may want to check out a "nasal balloon" treatment done by some naturopathic doctors. Hopefully Dr. Garrett Smith will chime in here. I've had the procedure done, and it fixed my nose. I was able to avoid surgery to fix a very deviated septum and very swollen turbinates, which used to stop my nose from draining, and I had chronic sinus infections for years before having this procedure. A slender plastic tube with a balloon is slipped up into your three main sinus passages. It is then quickly inflated with a BP-cuff type bulb. It hurts for a few seconds, and it feels weird, but the results are worth it, IMO. Your nose is tender for a few days afterwards.

Some Drs. claim it can do a lot more than open your nasal passages, but all I can say is I know it does that, so it worked for me.

Good Luck!

Tom
Old 05-17-2006, 12:41 AM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Injuries (the land of the medically related threads).
Old 05-17-2006, 05:45 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
What Tom C. was referring to:
www.drdeanhowell.com

Both him and I have had the treatment done (by different doctors, for different reasons).

First, I'd suggest you try the dietary advice I provided in your other thread.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Oh i also notice that sometimes i have no problem breathing out through my nose, but breathing in i can't
Old 05-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #6
Tom Kobzina

Profile:
Try reducing your carb intake. When I switched from a high carb diet to a Zone Diet my chronically stuffy nose problem vanished. Try eliminating not just refined cereal grains, but also whole grains, potatoes and sweetpotatoes.

Constipation, even partial constipation, can be a factor in breathing problems. High fiber content food, psyllium husks, or Milk of Magnesia may remedy the problem.

Breathing from your chest instead of from your abdomen may also contribute to breathing problems.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Actually, i just noticed when I pushed my nose back (lift it up) my airway is no longer constrictred... hmm... any clues?
Old 05-20-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
Kirk C. Smith

Profile:
Frank,

I'd suggest seeing an allergist. I had the same problem. I thought it was allergies and got very annoyed, as well. It was interesting that they couldn't find anything in particular that was causing it.

The official diagnosis is "non-allergic rhinitis". Basically, "stuff" in the air triggers the stuffy nose, but I'm not allergic to anything. The doc gave me Nasonex and Astelin to use as needed.

My diet has been pretty much a no grain Paleo and it really didn't seem to make much of a difference. Also check your consumption of milk and other mucous producing foods. Eliminating those helped me, initially.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Kirk, so basically: stuffy nose for life! ahhhh
Old 05-21-2006, 04:12 AM   #10
Adam Noble

Profile:
Could be any number of isses or combinations there of. Nasal polyps are pretty common causes of chronic stuffiness and breathing difficulties. In extreme and rare cases these can be symptoms of much worse conditions like various sino-nasal cancers. I'm not trying to be morbid or scary, but my chronic stuffiness/runny nose were symptoms of olfactory neuroblastoma (a rare cancer in my sinus). I'm alive because it was just annoying enough to get myself checked out (I never felt sick, and in the past have ignored what I considered minor medical problems). Let me stress that I was a rare case, but a trip to the ENT can only help the stuffiness, breathing problems; and it feels great to breathe clearly through your nose.