CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
Will Nuse

Profile:
I'm wondering if anyone else knows anything more about this than I do. I fractured my left fibula 3-4 inches above my ankle almost 5 months ago. The fracture displaced slightly (maybe 1 cm or so) front to back, with no lateral displacement at all, so no reduction or surgery was required. I've been cleared by my orthopedist to start running, and have done so off and on again, going slow and easing into things. The first run (just a mile) was moderately painful, but it has since gotten better, though there are a few things that are still nagging.

Let me just say that I've been pretty lucky as far as injuries go, and the only ones that've come back to bite me are the ones I try to ignore that become bigger problems later, so I'm trying to avoid this tendency in this instance.

I don't know what the name of this bone is, but bear with me as I try and map out where things hurt. On the outside of my ankle, there's the large swelling of the lower head of the fibula (correct me if I'm wrong), and below it and slightly forward is another protrustion. In this area and radiating below it in a half circle about 1-1.5" inches in radius is where I feel the majority of my discomfort when I run, which becomes pain after going too fast. Going for a long time doesn't seem to bother it too much, so I just look like a geriatric when I'm trying to run.

The second sore spot is where my Achilles hooks into my heel. It's especially exacerbated by anchored situps, but yesterday after doing the WOD my ankle was throbbing all day as I was driving around doing errands, especially when holding down the clutch (hasn't done that before). Heel raises can be somewhat painful, as is pushing off hard to jump up a stair or running fast.

I had one visit with a physical therapist, and he gave me 4 strengthening exercises with a Theraband that seem to help, but not as much as I'd like. From what I understand, I'm at the end of what medical science can do for me, unless I figure something out to speed things up with my rehab. My flight doc doesn't want to write me an upchit until I feel 100%, but that could be 2 months from now (not good for retention). If anyone has any ideas for me, I'm all ears--thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
Adam Noble

Profile:
I shattered the lower distal third of my fibula back in 1995; surgery, plate, screw, the works. It took about a year and a half for it to really feel good again. That said, I was up and snowboarding in three months. A good friend who was a physical therapy student told me to ask for really agressive rehab which I got. In addition to the band exercises, I did a ton of work on a vew-doo board (its a balance board on a roller). I would balance on this thing, balance and throw 5 lb rubber balls at angled tramps, all sorts of stuff. I even bought my own so I could spend time balancing at home, reading, watching t.v. etc. that helped me tremendously.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
Will Nuse

Profile:
Good to know as far as how long it'll take to get completely right again, and that it will happen eventually. You obviously had it a lot worse off than I did.

That balance board could work out perfect for me as well--I could practice reciting emergency procedures while balancing to make sure I know them cold. I know neither of these are what you used, but what do you think of this? I've also seen the Indo Board which is similar to the vew-doo board. I really like the look of the first one since it's 3D balance. Anything I should be sure to look for in one of these (i.e., size of roller, etc)?

(Message edited by othromas on May 23, 2006)
Old 05-23-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
Adam Noble

Profile:
I haven't tried either, but the 360 one looks pretty cool. I never really thought about the size of the roller, mine is about 4 or 41/2 inches tall. Oh yeah make sure you use it on carpet, hard wood floors are not your friend.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:14 AM   #5
Will Nuse

Profile:
Good call on the carpet and thanks for your help. I think this is going to help out big time.