CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
jacob lee overy

Profile:  
Hello all,
I have been doing crossfit for about 5 weeks now. Last Thursday, I went to the doctor for a checkup and to find out why my legs and ankles were swelling so bad that they began to form blisters. Well, after several tests and blood tests, The doc informed me that it was congestive heart failure. Of course I was stunned at this, especially with the crossfit workouts. I told my doc about them and she told me to buy a heart monitor that you wear like a wrist watch and take Lasix (a water draining pill), but the problem is: That is all she said, I know that this can be genetic and all that hooplah, but I am the last person that anyone wants to tell to quit. I will not give up and I will die fighting, so any suggestions on this issue and how to get rid of it (if possible) would more than , greatly appreciated.Thanx and remember: WINNERS NEVER QUIT AND QUITTERS NEVER WIN.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Uh, Jacob...congestive heart failure is real bad. The failure part pretty much sums it up. I think you need to see a cardiologist prior to continuing training. How much do you weigh, guesstimate of body fat, and what's your training history? First issue would be to get tested and find out what your doctor really means, second is to get diet in line. I like your spirit...but you don't want to BECOME a spirit.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Jacob,
I'd highly suggest you attempt to contact Dr. Decker Weiss at the Arizona Heart Hospital in Scottsdale, AZ. He is the first Naturopathic Physician to complete a residency in Cardiology--so he knows both sides. There is more hope for you than convention cares to give.

Here's his site: http://scottsdalenaturalmed.com/meet/weiss.shtml .

Best of luck.

First thing I'd do is get on lots of CoQ10. Email or PM me if you wish to discuss things in greater detail.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
David Ingersoll

Profile:
Jacob, that's NOT normal, and you should be investigated further to find out why this is happening (if you truly have heart failure). Did she order an echocardiogram to confirm her suspicions? Have you had an ECG? A stress test? This is stupid, sending someone with new onset heart failure home with lasix and a HR monitor is malpractice. Are you telling us the full story? You're not forgetting to tell us about that old inferior wall myocardial infarct you had three years ago are you? Or about the 20 years of emphysema?

Just kidding about the last two, but really, those are two causes of right-sided congestive heart failure, which is what your doc is describing, and which is why you need to find out if she's right. If she is right, you need to know what the cause was. If the answer is "Your heart rate gets too high so your ventricle becomes inefficient at pumping blood forward", you still need to know why your ventricle can't handle that heart rate...a normal, healthy ventricle has no problem handling blood at any heart rate you could muster.

How old are you by the way? Do you have any medical problems with either your heart or lungs?
Is this swelling really new or have you gotten it before?

I could ask you a million questions, but it's not really appropriate here. My advice, would be as Larry suggested, to get to the bottom of this by seeing a cardiologist. Heart failure isn't something you just take lasix for. There are tons of causes, the most common one being coronary artery disease. Really, don't ignore this, and don't do crossfit until you get answers.

Dave

Old 04-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
Catherine Imes

Profile:
Yes... There have been advances over the years like the ones that Garrett has described. Get to a cardiologist and I wouldn't continue doing Crossfit until you get more information.

You haven't stated your age or whether or not you ever smoked, and other things. CHF killed my Grandmother and even though she quit smoking 25 years before she died, we're pretty certain it caused her CHF..I'm sure genetics and other things are a factor. Besides the smoking (which she quit), her diet and activity were good.. She didn't ever get swelling in her arms or legs. She got fluid build up in her lungs... They prescribed Lasix so that she could breath easier.

Please don't screw around with this...Good luck to you.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Injuries, where the medical posts live.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Jacob,
You need to get more specific information / guidance from your Dr. I often poo poo physician advice when it comes to training (my day job is in healthcare, specifically transplant). If you have CHF (congestive heart failure) you need some real significant medical follow-up.

At your age you may have an infection (endocarditis), bad valve, prior MI, pulomnary hypertension etc. This is not a bad shoulder, knee or a cold. I would not only seek out a Dr I would look real hard for a good cardiologist.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:53 AM   #8
jacob lee overy

Profile:  
Hello,
I am 240 lbs, 36 years old and 5ft 11in tall. Yes as a matter of fact I just quit smoking 6 weeks ago. I am a former Marine and worked the last 13 years in the oil field. As far as any other things, yes I have a ECG (normal), a stress test (pretty normal, just needed more cardio)[I did enough of the lifting at work,haha]. Thats all, she did say that it was not unheard of, very rare for someone of my age and such to be having these types of issues. I have been doing some of my own research and have found, that with CHF, you get a lot of water build up around your organs. Have not found out why this happens (exactly) all I have read is that the heart is able to pump the blood down but cant get it back up, so your blood seperates and the water part (which is part of the plasma) stays and causes the swelling. Here is something else that is very strange to me, but maybe one of you may know something: When I swim the swelling doesnt occur, even though my heart rate is up there. I am not sure if it is because when swimming you are in a "laying" type of position and not up right on your feet or what. As I learn and take your advice and learn I will share it, you never know who may need it. I have printed out all of your advices and will be making calls and doing emails. Thank You all, you dont know how much this really means. You are appreciated.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:24 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I almost forgot, ask about your kidney function as well.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:43 AM   #10
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
When you swim you have water pushing against your skin, which is more forceful than air. This could prevent the swelling, that you described as water accumulation.