CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
Tim Weaver

Profile:
A local big-box sports store has some Nike Free 5.0 "on sale" for $59.00. I tried on 2 pair and noticed a significant difference in the way they fit.

Though my foot measures a 9.5, I wear 10.0 in just about everything, from boots to tennis shoes...9.5 just seems too small.

I tried on a 10.0 in the Free, and the arch support (??) felt like it was about 1/2" too far back...basically like someone was pressing their thumb into the arch about midway from the top to where it comes back down at the heel (on the back-half of the arch). it was almost painful, but otherwise the shoes felt great. :-)

I then tried the 9.5. The arch support felt much better and more natural, leading me to believe that, yes Virginia, shoe sizing actually does matter.

So, before I go plonk any money down:

a) is this a reasonable price for the 5.0 with the little strap across the toe area (the crosstrainer??)

b) any comments on the sizing as I describe it

c) just where DOES one find Chuck T's, as this place didn't have it and the sales drone had no idea what I was talking about when I asked if they carrid Chuck Taylors?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 09-06-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Tim,
I'll add my two cents here.

It is a reasonable price. If you feel sure about your size, you can get an even better price on EBay, just search "mens nike free 10".

No comment on the sizing other than numbers don't matter, get what fits your foot.

As for local places with Chuck T's, I don't know. Quirky shoe stores??? Once you know your size, just like with the Nikes, I'm sure an endless supply of sizes and colors are available online.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Ebay!! Cheap Chuck Ts. New.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Converse shoes makes Chuck Taylors.

The 18 year old kid who works at a shoe store is not going to recognize what you are asking for if you say Chuck-T's (unless they lift)
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
Tim Weaver

Profile:
The 18 year old kid who works at a shoe store is not going to recognize what you are asking for if you say Chuck-T's (unless they lift)

So I discovered. :-)
Old 09-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
Owen Graham

Profile:
Where do you all live??? My neices have chucks! They said all their friends wear them too. I see Chucks all the time and I'm not talking about on people who are lifting.

Try Famous Footwear.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
Abby Phenix

Profile:
you can order Chuck Taylors online at Zappos.

http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722001165/page/1.html
Old 09-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
Alicia Michel

Profile:
hi tim, the arch problems you were describing got my attention. i usually wear a size 8 even though my foot is about size 7.5. the nike free 5.0s i have are 7.5, and i still got that uncomfortable arch problem you described. the uncomfortableness grew if i ran more than 200m.

after awhile it went away though and i don't get any arch aches doing 2km - not sure if the shoe is supposed to work like that, or i got the wrong size....
Old 09-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
Matt Hulbert

Profile:
It's common that your feet get sore in the Free shoes. Most people are used to wearing overly-structured shoes so the little muscles in your feet aren't up to the task of holding you up. That's why Nike includes two sets of insoles. One set has more structure and they tell you to start with those.

If you go barefoot a lot you shouldn't have any problems -- your feet are already strong.

If you run/walk/wear them a lot your feet will get stronger and then they won't bug you anymore.

I've started wearing thin shoes as much as possible and my feet are much stronger now. I highly recommend it. Not Nike Frees (necessarily) just wearing shoes less often and/or wearing thin or less-structured shoes.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #10
Tim Weaver

Profile:
thanks for all the help!!