CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-04-2009, 05:24 AM   #21
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: Can't complete the WOD

Meat and Veggies
Nuts and Seeds
Some Fruit
Little Starch
No Sugar
I've been following this pretty well since mid April and dropped 4 lbs. I have another 4 or 5 to go, we'll see if I plateau, but for now, this has made a huge difference.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:11 AM   #22
SE

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Steinbarger View Post
I can't complete the full warm-up, but my pull-ups are improving. (Was able to do 10 straight today on the first go-round).

Usually on the WOD, I can't use the recommended weight, (which is a new thing for me because I've always been the big strong lug). I am usually terribly slow,(also a new thing for me). And sometimes can't complete the full exercise.

At the end of the session, I'm soaked and shaking.....thought I might puke this AM.

My question is this:

I know that sooner or later I'll be able to keep up.

How long does that usually take?

Hey Everett,

I'm a little over a month in to CF and am still doing the scaled WOD's that kill me. It will probably take a long time for me to get to full WOD's as prescribed....

But hey, if it was easy, it wouldn't be so motivating to keep going back! Anyway, I'm sure that sooner or later that I'll be able to keep up. It's just going to take some time to hone my technique and time for my body to morph into the machine I want it to be...

Keep it up!
Sydney
Old 05-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #23
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Steinbarger View Post
Alex, thanx for the links. The 2nd link isn't working. The 1st link only gives 4 small paragraphs, and doesn't talk about Met derangement. I don't think I have the actual article, and can't seem to get to it.

Do most CF types adhere to the Atkins type diet? Zone? I can see where the extra protein would come in handy after a real beatdown.

I'm going to go comb thru the nutrition section. I may post a question there.
In the first link, the article is downloaded on the right-hand side under the picture where is says Free Download.

I'm not sure why the link doesn't seem to want to work, but here is a link to a related video with Coach talking about metabolic derangement. The original article that I was trying to link to (CFJ Issue 21) can be found below in the Related Articles section.

Nutrition Lecture Part 1: Avoiding Disease

And to answer your question, most CrossFitters follow the Athlete's Zone, Paleo, or (the best bet) a combination of the two.

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa; 05-04-2009 at 07:12 AM..
Old 06-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
Lee Bache

Profile:

Everett,

Even though this is a really old thread, it really hits home for me now. I just started CF 2 weeks ago and felt the same way. I did a search for "just started CF and I can't complete the WOD" and found this thread. I have only been there 3 times (2/week plan) and honestly I have only completed 1 WOD. My first class, I just ran out of time. This past Saturday our box did the Filthy Fifty. I couldn't finish that at all. I tried, even though I dry heaved about 4 times, I tried until I just couldn't move.

I thought I was a slug to since I couldn't complete a lot of the WODs. Honestly I 'm done after we are done with warming up to be honest. I do what I can and keep moving as much as I can. I can feel a difference even though it has only been to 3 classes.

All I can say is thank you for having the balls to admit this, I thought I was the only one. Now I feel better because I'm not the only one out there. I must admit that I'm tired of getting my a$$ kicked by the women at my CF box. I will admit that ego does get the best of me sometimes, but as long as Im getting better that is all that matters right?

Last edited by Lee Bache; 06-02-2013 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 06-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #25
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

It's not important to finish the workout.

It's important to work hard and improve over time.

- Mark
Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #26
Victor Goodman

Profile:

I saw a quote recently and I can't remember who said, so apologies to everyone as I don't want credit for it, but it goes like this:

"Crossfit never gets easier, but your times get better."
Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #27
Bryan Castro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bache View Post

All I can say is thank you for having the balls to admit this, I thought I was the only one. Now I feel better because I'm not the only one out there. I must admit that I'm tired of getting my a$$ kicked by the women at my CF box. I will admit that ego does get the best of me sometimes, but as long as Im getting better that is all that matters right?
I've always thought that humility and courage go hand-in-hand. People who can't humble themselves will avoid challenges that threaten their ego. Those who can do things they are not good at will eventually get better at them!

I've got a long way to go myself, but I'm not giving up!

Best regards,
Bryan
Old 06-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
Frank Gianci

Profile:

Victor just hit it right on the head. Crossfit is not easy for anyone. It is the performance that will improve. The hard work that you do will help you to perform better as time goes on. Hang in there and enjoy the ride!!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #29
Dave Hancock

Profile:

I'm curious to know whether Everett has stuck with it.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #30
Jeff Enge

Profile:

The answer appears to be "yes."

http://games.crossfit.com/athlete/51663 wfs