CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Stefan Borovina

Profile:
For the next few months it seems that i will not have access to bumper plates, but I still want to train olympic style lifts as best I can. I can't drop the weights because they will throw me out of the gym.

Can I get most of the benefits of the olympic lifts by focusing on the "pull" in each lift? For example Snatch Grip High Pulls, Cleans/Power Cleans etc.
If I don't put the weight overhead on these lifts I think I can go heavier and not have to drop the weight after I am done.

I will also throw in some overhead sqauts to the point where i don't bail and drop the weight.

For those who don't have bumper plates... how do you do it?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I wouldn't recommend going heavy without bumpers for dynamic lifts, you'll end up getting in a bad situation and try to save it in order to not drop the weights. This is a really good way to get hurt.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Justin Davis

Profile:
There is much that can be done.
It has been said that you will not lose too much progress with the O-lifts so long as you can keep up your squat numbers.
I am in a similiar situation to the one you describe. I am working within the same rules until I finish ski/climbing season and can go back to learning the o-lifts at CFN.
You still have back squats, front squats, OHS.
Shoulder press, push press, Snatch Balance, this should keep up your stabilization/core in reasonable shape and your shoulders at work. I do not go for Max lifts overhead due to the obvious issue of missing and dropping and breaking floor boards.
Also Deadlifts and rack pulls (with straps) will work the first and second pull, the second being one of my biggest weaknesses with the o-lifts.
From a "fry your nervous system" Point of view, I think the deadlift and heavy Thrusters can both do the trick better than you need.
Dumbell one arm snatch and clean and jerks is also a good way to keep up a semblace of the actual lifts, also totally freaks out the other gym patrons, good fun.
Also, dropping the weight from a deadlift height or onto a rack is usually not enough to get you kicked out of a gym, at least not at the first offense.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Tabata squats will help keep your hip flexors "active" (for the OL catch) without any weight worries.

Do OL variations with DBs, as Justin said.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
Keep working the movements at a weight you can easily control and don't have to worry about dumping. Your 1RM max may drop a little but you can keep the movement patterns solid. That, combined with the advice above, should keep you pretty close to where you left off.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
Jerry Hill

Profile:
"For those who don't have bumper plates... how do you do it?"

- Learn how to lower your lifts without dropping...seriously. I've never trained with bumpers.

Since this is only a few months, train within your limits...concentrate on speed of movement and stop a rep or 2 before failure. Here is a great chart to plan your course, W/f/s:

http://www.angelfire.com/pe/txpls/prilephin.html

In Strength,
Jerry