CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-08-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
jim passias

Profile:  
Do leg presses and/or squats on hammer strength equipment count for anything or are there to many deficiencies in the exercise.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
My thoughts...
Weight training machines are a poor substitute in almost all cases, but not worthless. It would take a long time to explain why, but the short answer is they tend to:
lock you into an unnatural movement pattern
not develop your accessory muscles
develop your body in an unballanced way
not develop coordination to match strength

After I said all of those things. I do not think it is terrible to use them once in awhile for a specific reason. Never use them as the foundation of a program.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:39 PM   #3
Brian Sullivan

Profile:
I'm far from an expert, but in general I find that a good leg press can be an excellent exercise, and can really fry you legs and hips. A bad leg press (and there are a lot of bad ones) can be hard for your back and your knees. Hammer machines are among the best, but I find that it depends if you fit the machine. Keep your tail bone on the machine - don't round your back to do more weight.

I prefer to squat or deadlift, since these exercises to not require me to fit the machine, and they also work the supporting muscles in the core and upper body. And they are more fun, and functional.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
If you want to do a useful, and slightly dangerous variation of the REAL leg press, try doing a barbell pullover and place on the soles of your feet, then press it with your legs. It's probably applicable to ground fighting/wrestling, even though the squat is much better. The problem with the 45 degree hip sleds is that they put you in an unnatural position. They are favored by bodybuilders because they overload and add a lot of mass to the quads, while doing nothing for the hams. If your hams/butt do get sore from them, you are lowering too far and running a serious risk for low back injury. I've known plenty of guys that can leg press half a ton, yet cannot squat, deadlift, sprint or oly pull to save their lives.