CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-06-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
Steve Sawyer

Profile:
No, I'm not talking about fat unmarried folks, I mean heavy maximum lifts. How do you feel about doing heavy singles or doubles infrequently? I feel a bit nervous about pushing a max when I'm not specificly training for it. I've always understood that in order to develop the necessary tendon/ligament strength to lift maxes safely, heavy weights must be used regularly. Of course I'm not so strong that I'll be tearing away tendons, but I'm really trying to assess the risk vs. benefit.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:54 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Steve-
We usually do heavy DL'ing at least twice per month. The WOD should provide more than adequate connective tissue integrity. Flawless form and a thourough warm-up will take care of the rest.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Robb
Old 04-06-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Brian Hand

Profile:

Steve, I agree, max effort work requires preparation, more so the stronger you get. I woudn't do a max single out of the blue, I might go heavy but I'd leave a little in the tank. I don't know if the limiting factor is connective tissue strength. It might be that the form is a little different, with different requirements and recruitment patterns for the stabilizers; maybe something neurological.

Also, you're never going to hit your best single without some max effort practice.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I made a post on Matt Wiggins a while back, with no replies. He usually advocates heavy singles and doubles, and alternating rest times for "strength-endurance". You might want to check him out, he's at:

www.workingclassfitness.com

(Oh, and he called Crossfit the best informational site on the net. Brownie points! :happy: )
Old 04-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #5
Steve Sawyer

Profile:
Yeah, my concern is that I'm not using the best form when I don't perform a movement consistently and heavily. Also, I've found that on squats particularly, I tend to get severe spasms in the posterior adductors when I don't work that movement consistently. It can be so bad that I can hardly walk for several days. Fortunately, yesterdays' squatting left me only with sore cheeks. Not the facial ones.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
Steve Sawyer

Profile:
Oh, and thanks for the replies & link.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
Ryan Shanks

Profile:

I think it's great. Just make sure your form is there, and your using a safe weight for you.