CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Andrew Lallos

Profile:
Question Overall Zone?

Quick question,

I'm contemplating trying to switch to a zone type diet, as opposed to a "watch what I'm eating and keep it healthy diet". My problem is that being a college student who works as much as possible (with no refrigerator to keep food) at his part time job it's not always easy if even possible to have every meal/snack exactly zone perfect.

However, I can seem to manage to have my days as a whole be "zone" meaning when I enter all my food for the day into my fitday, it ends up being 40/30/30 +-1 or 2%.

Will that be just as effective or to truly be in the zone, does every meal have to be 40/30/30, not just the days totals?

Last edited by Andrew Lallos; 01-17-2008 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Craig Sheley

Profile:
Re: Overall Zone?

Andrew, as Barry Sears explains his system in his book "Enter the Zone", your only as good as your last meal or snack. So, every meal and snack should be as close to zone friendly as you can get it. I'm lazy, I buy precooked deli turkey or chicken and cut it in 1 oz (1 block) chunks, precut and washed veggies, fruits, and olives (usually garlic or fetta stuffed) and almonds. I stick these things in a little cooler lunch bag with a frozen water bottle, and go. It's not the cheapest way to go, but its not that expensive either and it saves time. As soon as you portion things out once or twice you can eye ball it for one, two, or three block snacks throughout the day. Get some variety at breakfast and dinner when your at home. If you get a chance pick up the book and read the first few chapters quick, it shines some light on the zone and has some good ideas. Hope this helps.

Craig S
Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Andrew Lallos

Profile:
Re: Overall Zone?

hmmm...I'll have to looking into picking up the book.

Never thought of the lunch box idea with an ice pack or something. I don't know why I never did--seems so obvious lol.

thanks for the info.