CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-26-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Coaching a high school wrestling team, I follow a normal high school schedule so it isn't really possible to follow the WOD's normal 3 on 1 off schedule. We've been using 5 on 2 off which means sometimes we have to fill the rest day with an old WOD which is fine. I was hoping for some input or modifications I should make to maximize the WODs in this format.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Rick:

There have been some other discussions about the choice of format (5-2 versus 3-1). I found these:

http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...c=20&page=4135

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/1510.html

Also, a couple of other threads on the "order of WOD", with side impact on the question of 3-1 vs. 5-2:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/2217.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/1435.html

The CrossFit Journal from Feb 2003 provided a "template" that can be used to construct CrossFit-style workouts (note: Coach has previously acknowledged that the WOD does *not* follow this template slavishly, so don't waste time trying to predict next week's WODs). But it is a VERY useful format for systematically varying the dimensions of the workout to make sure you hit every aspect of fitness from all possible dimensions.

I don't have the issue in front of me, but I think it also addressed the question of how to structure the variation in a 5-2 setup.

Anyone else remember more?

Speaking VERY naively, I think I would go for emphasis on finer motor skills/balance/gymnastics in the early part of the week (well rested?), gross motor skills/power in the middle of the week, and metabolic burnout/suffering at the end of the week (before the weekend). But this suggestion doesn't come from any basis in coaching young athletes; your competition schedule would probably dictate a lot of when you can go hard.

Dave Wood
Old 09-01-2004, 10:40 PM   #3
Adrian Frankling

Profile:
my 2 cents worth. cfj9, may 2003 had a program requiring the minimum of equipment and running 5 on 2 off. incorporate the crossfit warmup with this and it would most likely meet the needs of the team
Old 09-09-2004, 03:23 PM   #4
David Heyer

Profile:
I have been on a 5/2 schedule for quite some time. I normally train two days hard (follow the WOD), take an easy day (usually just coast through a WOD without pushing too hard), followed by two more hard days. Occasionally, I will also do another easy day if I feel REALLY motivated.

This schedule makes following the WOD difficult, so I usually am a few weeks behind.