CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-11-2004, 10:33 PM   #1
mark twight

Profile:

Hail,

Would folks who have done the "Tabata This" workout a few times please post some results for me to check out? Or steer me to an archived link where I could see some info? I'd like to know what order you did the exercises in, where the reps started falling off (4th or 5th set?), and how badly they fell off. I'm interested in max heart rates per exercise and 1 minute recovery rates too, and how you spent recovery periods (walking, stretching, puking ...). We have noticed some interesting stuff in the last month and I'd like to compare notes. Please describe any dramamtic improvements if they occurred and why you think they did.

Thank you,
Mark T.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:00 PM   #2
mark twight

Profile:

Ok, no takers in two weeks. Does anyone do this workout?

Here are a few things we noticed:
1) Lying down between exercises lowers HR faster than standing, sitting or walking, indicating better recovery in the short 60 second rest.
2) Alternating upright exercise (squat, pull-up) with prone or seated exercises produces lower heart rates, and allows greater overall level of work
3) Rowing first reduces reps on all other exercises
4) Rowing reps are not seriously affected if done last
5) Improvement happens really fast when the workout is done consistently (bimonthly).
6) High number of reps may be maintained for greater number of sets as fitness improves. Rep totals do not necessarily improve per set, but now I can do 6 sets of 7 pull-ups rather than doing 11, 8, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, etc. which suggests that local area endurance and lactic acid tolerance improve with this protocol.

More later,
Mark T.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Mark,

I can't comment on Tabata This. However, I do Tabata Squats almost daily. I find that my doing other exercises first, even heavy deadlifts has minimal effect on my Tabata Squats (TSqt) However, doing TSqt first has a very detrimental effect on most other exercises. Also, I have found that doing frequent pullups has resulted in a finding similar to #6 above. While the number of reps has not increased substantially, I feel I can do them more explosively. Also, I can do them with shorter breaks in between sets. I can probably also do many more sets. I believe that your observation about Rowing also holds true. I enjoy your posts Mark. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:51 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Mark,
Great info - thanks! If I get brave enough to "tabata this" I'll definitely try it with your hints.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:14 PM   #5
Mike Yukish

Profile:
What is the Tabata This workout? I went searching through the site, but no joy.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Mike - here it is from the December 2002 CrossFit Journal

“Tabata This” workout - where the Tabata
Interval of 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest repeated 8 times is applied in turn to the Squat, Rower, Pullups, Sit-ups, and Push-ups with a one minute rotation break between exercises. Each exercise is scored by the weakest number of reps (calories on the rower) in each of the eight intervals. During the one minute rotation time allowed the clock is not stopped but
kept running. The score is the total of the scores from the five stations.

This workout stands the Tabata Interval concept on its head but is so potent in impact (don’t want to give it away) that it stands remembered as a favorite by our crew.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:59 PM   #7
Steve Nugent

Profile:
Mark,
I tried it today, using a modified "Twight technique," (i.e. resting on my back) I realized a 3 squat improvement from 22 to 25. I don't know if the improvement is directly attributable-but I certainly will continue to utilize the supine rest. I realized no other gains, and enjoyed the rowing very little.
Does this help?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:21 PM   #8
mark twight

Profile:

All,

Thank you for the comments.

Steve, 25 squats in 20 seconds ... whoa!

Lynne, you must try it. My friend Carolyn absolutely loves this workout and trains many of her clients with it once or twice a month. I recall her high score was 52. I snuck by her with 53 ... but I know there must be those in the 70s ...?

Anyone else willing to post their scores?

Mark T.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:30 PM   #9
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Mark,
I'll have to give it a try; sounds evil and deadly though! I'll get "tabata this" added to the FAQ this weekend.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:24 AM   #10
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Jon,

By golly, if there's a way to misinterpret what you wrote, I'm just the man to do it. So to be absolutely sure...

Tabata This is as follows:
SQ, rower,...,pushups, rest one minute
SQ, rower,...,pushups, rest one minute, etc.
Do for eight rounds

Or it is as follows:
SQ(1), SQ(2),...,SQ(8), rest one minute
rower, rower,...,rower, rest one minute, etc.

Both sound hard. Which is it?