CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
Ryan Manjuck

Profile:  
About 5 weeks ago i squatted down to pickup a dumbell when i felt a pinch in my lower right back. It progressively got tighter to the point i could barely walk so i went to the doc that night. After the usual treatment of Motrin 800 and Flexirils i still had pain. Went to another doc and he said i hurt the small stabilizer muscles in the lower back. He sent me to PT and this doc says he thinks its a bulged disc thats pushing on a nerve. So now 5 weeks later i still have an aching stiff pain when i sit or try to extend my legs out straight. I can walk and i dont feel a thing. I stretch my hamstrings as best i can using the door frame. Throughout the day it loosens but the pain is still there when i sit or extend legs. Occasionally it goes into my upper butt and thigh. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Ryan
Old 08-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
Charlie Reid

Profile:
I would also like to hear from anybody, including any doctors/chiros/etc. about low back pain. I've had chronic grade I overuse syndrome in my low back for a while and i havent successfully been able to rehab it just right. Anybody have any luck with Active Release Therapy? I've heard many back sufferers sing the praises of this.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Hi guys, may I share the following thread with you?
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/27729.html
Old 08-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Frank, egoscue therapy? What is the deal....
Old 08-05-2006, 05:31 AM   #5
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I've got horrible back problems, upper and lower actually, though the upper gives me more problems. Back at the time of the thread ref'd above it was really hurtin' me like you know what! It was one of those times when all you can think of doing is whine, so that is what I did. Andrew Greenberg answered me with an offer to send me an email containing a method (http://www.egoscue.com/htdocs/index.asp) to relieve the pain. To my great suprise and relief it worked?! I'm reticent about resending the email he produced for my use but if he were good with that then I would send it to any who wanted it. I can't explain the how's or why's of the method but it does work. Within 15' max of doing the described stretch I was sound asleep on the floor and pain free!

Andrew?

(Message edited by fmn on August 05, 2006)
Old 08-05-2006, 06:12 AM   #6
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
frank, be my guest, send away.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:28 AM   #7
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Frank what kind of back problems and how long have you had them? I have had bad low back pain for around 15 years from 3 damaged disks and thought I have heard of ecverything....
Old 08-05-2006, 07:50 AM   #8
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Thanks Andrew. Anyone who cares to be sent the email referred to please notify me and I'll be glad to send it along.

Kevin, as stated I was in a very serious accident. My spine, as near as I can figure, was whip-lashed several times during the 3 flips the vehicle did before coming to a halt. What exactly happened to my lower back is a mystery but it must be some kind of compression as I get nerve pain from it that radiates to my feet through my legs. My upper spine, at about the 6-7 vertabrae, looks like it has a v shape to it if viewed from the side in the x-rays and MRI. This also causes a compression related nerve pain that radiates pain through all limbs. At times it is quite severe. At one time I thought that I'd be incapacitated so far as lifting and even sold my O set coz the pain it caused was so intense.

However, and this really surprised the crap outta me, once I began doing OHS with the broom that pain subsided a bit. One day shortly after starting to do thrusters with a 60lb object at work I found that I'd overdone it and could barely move that night. In desperation I posted to the board and Andrew sent me the instructions I spoke of earlier. Now I'm relatively pain-free and fully expect that it will continue to be alleviated through sensible measures.

Every back injury is somewhat different of course so what worked for me might not for others. Never-the-less trying egoscue is a viable option. All I would say to anyone with back problems unequivically is to NOT go for surgery unless it is life or death. I've got to many aquaintances that are far worse off from surgery than have benefited for it to be considered as a remedy before one tries everything else under the sun.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:02 AM   #9
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Frank, please forward me the email and I will give it a shot.

kevintmckay@gmail.com

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #10
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
feel free to contact me with more questions re: egoscue. not certified , but have had some training.