CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:
Thoughts on the cert in Sydney

So after 2.5 years I finally get my *** off to a cert. I'll be honest and state that I thought I knew a lot about Crossfit already, after all I have read and re-read the website, and even Coach himself says that you don't 'need' to go to a cert. In short, I was blown away by the content, and this seemed to be the universal reaction of everyone I met there.

Key points

1. The cert was a ton of fun
2. The lectures really 'joined up the dots' for me. Having done a lot of diligent self study, I was missing the context that held it all together.
3. To have an original nasty girl say shes going to 'give you a dose' is just priceless. Seriously though, doing Fran alone in your garage is way different than doing it with 20 other people and having Todd Widman count your reps. It was my fastest ever Fran as Rxd, and I have not felt that knackered since Lympstone.
4. The progressions for the basic 9 movements are simple and easy to apply. I have never seen so many people make such huge improvements in such a short space of time.

Changes to my programming

I'm going to follow Jeff's Crossfit Strength template and add in two different warm ups that will alternate

1. squat+front squat +ohs+deadlift+ sdhp+clean+ press+ p press+ push jerk + muscle up progression
2. snatch+handstand+muscle up progression

I really want to cement the basic 9 movement patterns as taught at the cert, and sticking them in the warm up is a good place for it.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Dave Gibbs

Profile:
Re: Thoughts on the cert in Sydney

I thought it was well worth the expense and trip over from Perth.
As a cynical old git who spent a large amount of his career running globogyms I went along with a fair dose of natural scepticism but I have to say I was blown away by the level of professionalism, passion and knowledge by all the trainers and to see coach wax lyrical on crossfit was priceless.

Certainly was very different from working out on my own at home, especially when you realise that it is very easy to compromise form or ROM when you are just battling against yourself.

I will certainly go again and I have just applied for affiliation. Great to meet you Jerry