CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Homemade squat rack vs Powerline squat rack

So I found 300 pounds of weight and an oly bar on CL for 140. Score of a deal.

I originally figured I'd make some squat stands. 45 to 60 pound stands sound a bit light to me. I could squat that much weight and I will probably go out and buy some additional plates depending on what the set includes.

I found one of the powerline squat racks shipped for 125 on ebay. Pretty good deal. When it starts nearing 200 for some others, I get wary as it's starting to really eat away my budget. I tried looking into buying a cage since the self spotters would be nice, but it's just too much money ( besides space ). Building a cage might be a possibility. Or just buying one down the road.

Do you think many of these wooden squat stands with concrete buckets can take 300+ of weight? I figure I can make some robust stands with bigger wider and deeper buckets. It might up the costs a bit, but I don't have access to any welding equipment.

So, robust home made stands or the powerline rack for 300+ pounds?
Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Homemade squat rack vs Powerline squat rack

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/spo/749868983.html w/f safe

http://images.craigslist.org/0115010...75c000d4ac.jpg

this is the same ad I found for the weights, his squat cage was going to break my bank but considering he was going to deliver it, maybe I should get the squat racks as well.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Consider stands + a couple bumpers.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

You can load the 4x4' and concrete bucket stands up with 300lbs of weight, though I haven't tested much more than that. If buying the metal stands will delay you getting bumpers, make your own stands. If not, splurge and go for the metal ones. They look nice.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Thanks Patrick and Brendan.

I've spent way too much time thinking about this today and yesterday as I was going to call him tomorrow and see about setting something up on Sunday ( as that is a day I tend to stick around the house ).

I went and back and thought on just some light bumpers and a bar and what that would cost versus the 300 pounds of heavy weight. So I would only be able to do Oly lifting at home and go to the local CF affiliate to lift heavy. Not a bad idea, really.

Just for fun, I found a quote on 400 pounds of bumpers+bar. About 200 bucks in shipping though I could probably mooch a friend's truck or have them delivered from a local shop in Sac for less. Might not save anything considering space costs and margin.

Cost of the weights plus rack was 265+delivery. Starting bumper set is more than that but wouldn't really need a rack until I had heavier weights.

Just as I was looking at CrossFitSacramento's webpage, I noticed their monthly was far lower than I thought. I was figuring 1 or 2x a week would be 40 or 80 bucks. 3x would probably be the same as unlimited. I've actually posted my thoughts on this in the community section. For 60 bucks a month solo workouts, it makes the most sense.

In the meantime, I can slowly go about saving and buying a Pendlay econo and bumpers, bit by bit. Maybe on my tax return. This will save me a boatload of money now for important stuff like good food as I'm trying to get that dialed in. Over the course of time, having my own equipment would be cheaper; but honestly I need to get out more anyways. Just need and hope I can put it into my schedule besides the bike ride up there.

Thanks, all.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Anyone know weight limit on this powerline squat rack, http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...03&pCatg=11089.

I generally do the majority of my squat workouts between 260lbs - 360lbs. Max out at +400lbs. Any other comments on that particular squat rack.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
Brian Monk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Anyone know weight limit on this powerline squat rack, http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...03&pCatg=11089.

I generally do the majority of my squat workouts between 260lbs - 360lbs. Max out at +400lbs. Any other comments on that particular squat rack.
According to a customer review on Amazon, he does just under 400 lb squats, and feels the product to be sturdy, and a good buy. Take that for what its worth.